Do slip on recoil pads damage a stock?

I'm considering a slip on limbsaver recoil pad. I plan to use it when shooting but remove it when I'm done. My question and fear with this is will they damage a wood stock or the finish on it? If they will I don't want one. Also are they easy to remove and install?

Shouldn't hurt the stock at all unless it's left on so long that you have different weathering/fading between the exposed and unexposed areas. But by then it will be time to refinish the stock anyway...

go for it, just dont leave it on...

nothing breaks my heart more than to see a classic winchester come in through the door with one of those on, later when we are cleaning it up (how come no one ever cleans a gun before they go to sell?? you vaccum your car right?) and take the pad off there is a definate line and fading from where the pad was, granted, all guns are different, brownings may react differently than a pre 64 winchester or whatever and this said person probaly left the thing on the gun for 15 years or so, if you take it off each time i wouldnt worry about it, also, before you put the pad on, flip it inside out and hit with the air compressor, if there is sand or crud in there you can get some small scratches on the end of the buttstock because the pad does move when you shoot it, make sure its clean...

that being said i put one on my 1940's era winchester model 12 heavy duck to simulate the layers of clothing im wearing when im hunting..and i dont have any problems..

I bought A 1950 336 A marlin that had A leather lace on pad. God only knows how long it had been on it. Stock under the pad looked much better than the rest but no change in color.

Any time you slip something on and off a stock repeatedly you risk damaging or wearing the finish. Will it disfigure your gun? I doubt it, but enough times you could create some wear.

Just got my Limbsaver recoil pad from Cabellas.(size: small). Put on my Henry H001. Fits absolutely perfect.

It gives an additional 1" length of pull which I sorely needed. It's a real soft rubber, almost like a foam. Really comfortable.

Yesterday I put on a Williams receiver sight with target knobs. Clamps on the receiver grooves. Next will be getting an aluminum front barrel band and sight ramp from Henry so I can put on a luminescent front bead, polish the band and ramp, and take out the OEM rear sight. also got the extended cowboy style rounded lever for winter gloves, and cool looks..

Haven't got to go to a range yet but I read that hitting a golf ball at 100 yards regularly is common for the Henrys. ;)

Got high expectations for the little stinker. Great also being able to shoot "shorts" at backyard pests without the neighbors complaining.

If you haven't heard, Marlin is going out of business with complete shutdown in about 6 months. :(

Last edited:
no.

I, also, need all the length I can get (15 1/2") and use a slip on to add a bit to my SGs. I have one that I move from gun to gun as I need it. It doesn't stay on any one gun for more than a shooting session.
Peter

Instead of a slip on pad, or lace on for my assortment of mil-surps I had a couple of shirts made with a shoulder pocket that accepts a Browning Reactor Pad. Excellent recoil reduction.

This lady custom makes button up and tee shirts very reasonable. I bought one of each and I'm ordering more.
http://pinetreecustomsportswear.com/

My dad bought a savage model 110 270 when I was about 5 yrs old. It didn't have a recoil pad, just the hard plastic. He put one one of the cheap brown rubber slip on recoil pads. I don't know what there called, but I still see them at walmart and academy. I don't think it's ever been off and I'm 32 yrs old now. When I pull the rubber back and look at the stock, it still looks the same. No scratches or fading that I can tell. It does fit very tight, so it would be hard for dirt and sand to get in it.

Recoil Pad wear/damage?

I see these posts and, for me, it does not seem to make much sense to me. If one has a gun for a couple, three, four decades and shoots the heck out of it and then worries about what the stock shading or slight friction marks that may occur on it.....well, why shoot it at all? Build a frame and hang it on a wall. What if shooting it wears on the barrel or metal works??? Or, buy one to shoot and one to look at and leave it to others in perfect shape, never fired. And what good will that do?

I think it can most certainly cause damage to the finish on a stock.

I would not leave one on all the time on a nice wood stock.

If you hunt in the rain I would definatley take it off afterwords. I had one on my BAR for a while and I can tell it.

Why not buy a regular LS recoil pad. Install it and if fitting is needed mark with an awle and tak to a shoe repair shop and have them fit and polish the edges. Looks factory

I use a Limbsaver pad for my 7mm Rem Mag, .444 Marlin, & Mossberg 835 w/ turkey loads while pattering the gun... additionally, I slip it on the 30.06 when my wife is shooting it. It is definately worth putting it on your weapon. Greatly reduces felt recoil, in which will reduce your tendancy to flinch. Both the 7mm Rem Mag & .444 killed on both ends, the pad greatly reduces that. I don't leave it on for a great period of time & typically only use it while zeroing or pattering my guns on the range. If I'm taking a shot in the field my adreanaline is pumping to much to feel or care about felt recoil.

Stock damaged, darkened stock finish

Hi

I have a cheap rubber looking slip-on butt pad bought on ebay. On a couple of occasions I have made the mistake of leaving it on my rifles, a Lee Enfield and a Swiss K31, in both cases it has darkened the BLO finish where it has been in contact and I have not been able to remove the darkening.

Does anyone know how to remove this, or even what has happened to cause the darkening?

Cheers

Bob

A guy brought me a nice looking Win Model 12 that had been sitting in a closet for 50-60 years. It was hardly blemished but the old rubber slip-on pad had disintegrated to crumbling. I spent hours carefully removing the decades old residue but the end result was hardly noticeable.
The LimbSaver pads are entirely different and I haven't noticed them leaving any sort of residue but I wouldn't make them on permanently. They roll on/off easily.

No it will not. I have several and that's just nonsense. But if you still feel uncomfortable they come in several stretch on cloth style recoil pads ffrom other manufacturers.

Other than needing the length, why in the world would anyone put a slip-on pad on a rifle rather than simply changing out what they have with a grind to fit pad?

Marketing
Ease of use
Cheap
They do work
Removable if needed
They do work
Cheap
Instant gratification
Marketing

I personally bought rifles and shot guns that fit me

I did buy a rifle or two that I used my wood working skill to adjust to fit me

Then came kids ...got them kiddy guns....and as they aged the LOP changed...these Pads helped a bit on two fronts

As to the Ops question... Put in on a clean wood stock with the interior of the sip on pad very clean.... use at range or hunting... as you clean the rifle take it off...clean and re wax or what ever your method is for the wood stock and put away a clean tool

Wash out the recoil pad and dry thoroughly... put in big baggie with dusting of talc for the long wait until next season to use

If during a long hunt season with the pad installed and a lot of humid damp rainy days...every night back at camp take it off...clean and dry the stock and the pad

lots of the inevitable mud, sand, and moisture can scratch and discolor a beautiful wood stock....

On any synthetic...hell put it on and ignore it until it rots off...grin

Tongue in cheek I have a few synthetics... and most are JUST for hunting in harsh conditions that I prefer to not damage my pretty guns

On those I pay good attention to the actions and barrels but care not one wit about the stock...I bought it to take a ugly beating

I shoot a lot of older military rifles. Helps alleviate not having a sore shoulder after a long shooting session. It's easily removable to slip on another rifle. No grinding and fitting necessary since some even come with different depth removable pads.

Back