Do/should CCWs call the police after every incident?

Ices

Inactive
I've read many incidents of people needing to draw on a threat, just to have the threat run away. However, I never read of whether or not they called the police afterwards. I don't have a permit (i'm 20, and in MD), so there is a lot I don't know about CCW. Is it a standard procedure to call the cops after every incident in which you need to draw?

We were instructed that any incident involving the drawing or display of your weapon requires that you call the police. Two reasons: First, the person you drew on can't claim you were brandishing and you have your side of the story on record, second: If there's a trouble maker out there, they want to talk to him before he accosts someone else. Just common sense really.

The Good Samaritan is the exception rather than the rule today. Lawsuits, video cameras, video vigilantes and the ignorant application of human rights to criminals demands we report. There are 2 sides, the one with the best documentation is often the one given credence, irregardless of truth.

First one to call gets to set the tone for the rest of the story.

Which scenario below would you rather be in the middle of?

You have to draw your weapon during a road rage incident, the other guy runs off. You call police, calmly describe the incident and give your name.

You have to draw your weapon during a road rage incident, the other guy runs off but calls the cops, screaming about some guy in the intersection pulling a gun on him threatening to shoot everyone, and gives them your license plate.

You think he's gonna tell the cops it was his fault? Would a couple minutes on the phone be worth it?
Until and unless the other guy calls them they don't have a complainant anyway so nothing is going to happen to you. Be first to call in.

Absolutely, without question - do you want to be the one explaining why you were brandishing and making theatening gestures to all of the nice folks on the corner or in the convenience store? OR do you want to calmly call 911 and explain that you were threatened, stopped a crime, etc and would like a PO to come by and take a statement. It's much better doing it that way than being targeted for a felony stop by troopers or the police because 2 or 3 people called and claimed you are going to shoot up the area.

Action beats reaction - even for getting your side of the story out first!

Today, 07:35 PM #3
Sir William

"... the ignorant application of human rights to criminals ...."

Is this another way of saying, "Justice is blind" ? :confused:

Also give a description of YOURSELF. A LEO comming onto any scene that involves a gun won't know who's the "good guy or who's the bad guy", just that someone has a gun. Ask them (the 911 op) to give YOUR description to the responding officers, and that your the good guy...

Thanks for the info. For some reason, I never thought of it that way (the BG calling the cops on ME if I felt threatened and needed to draw). Learn something new everyday.

You have to draw your weapon during a road rage incident, the other guy runs off.
I'm having a problem with this "scenario". Why do you have to draw you weapon during any "road rage" incident unless you are being threatened with deadly physical harm? If the other guy is so "out of control wouldn't it be wiser to just remain in the car with the doors locked and call the police on your cell phone? Road rage is illegal! Why should you even be out of the vehicle risking your life at all? If the guy is threating you with deadly physical harm and you feel the need to draw your weapon then you shoot him dead, that's the reason you are carrying the weapon in the first place. You're not carrying the weapon to "scare" anyone. If you do not have the mindset or are not prepared to use it then you should not be carrying a handgun, period!

In answer to your question, yes you better call the police because in New York State it's "illegal to point a handgun at another person for the sole purpose of intimidating or scaring that person". So the other guy will probably have you arrested for pointing the handgun at him! That's the way it is in NYS!

riverrat, you must not have anything better to do tonight, it's just an example of two different stories, not a tactics discussion or law class......

Ease up on the freaking out OK?

Just to keep you happy let's pretend you're still in the car and blocked in by 3 pickups full of pissed off rednecks.... feel better with the "scenario"?

And no you are not always justified in shooting just because you've drawn your gun, if you really want to hijack this guys thread. Pulling a gun is not always threatening deadly force. Oh you like bold too, so here...... Not all states have the same laws as you do in New York.

Texas Penal Code:
Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.

If you do not have the mindset or are not prepared to use it then you should not be carrying a handgun, period!

Your mindset should be to protect yourself and stop the attack. If you can do so by presenting the weapon and not shooting, then you have done both the legal and moral thing. I guess there in New York you guys just look for excuses to shoot people?

TexasSIGMan,

Who's freaking out? I'm just expressing my opinion. I thought that was what this forum was all about. I didn't paint that "scenario" you did. Of course there could be a million different scenarios that would call for a million different reactions.

I had no intention of hijacking this thread but you certainly jumped into it didn't you?

When carrying a weapon one should be responsible enough to avoid unnecessary conflict, especially a road rage incident. I was trained to only point my firearm at something I planned on shooting. I do not go around waving my firearm around trying to scare people. Evidently you guys in Texas do it just for kicks. I guess down there if some guy just happens to walk up to you and looks suspicious you draw on him just to scare him away. In other words, it's OK to point your gun at someone just because you're afraid! Regardless if he's threatened you with physical bodily harm or not!
I don't look for an excuse to shoot anyone. I've done it before and it's not a pleasant thing to do and I hope I don't have to do it again. If anything I'll do what ever I can do avoid a physical confrontation. You're so eager to point your handgun at everyone I'm wondering if you have the balls to actually pull the trigger!

Respectfully,
Riverrat66

PS, I've been carrying concealed for over 30 years, how about you?

riverrat, none of that addresses the topic. Scenarios used to contrast the topic are not that big a deal.

In a million different scenarios, the question of whether or not you should use the phone should always generate the same answer. If you draw your weapon, be the first to call it in.

I would recommend to all that you ALWAYS call the police after a minor incident. If you drive off there's really no chance of getting caught so just leave a little message. But it must be kept in mind nobody likes a tattle tale.

I never call the cops and regard as someone who does as an idiot.

Take care of your own business...You are a big boy now...

I never call the cops and regard as someone who does as an idiot.

Well, to each - his own, - if you feel like sitting at a police station all day explaining why you shouldn't be ticketed for brandishing, assault, disorderly conduct - perhaps felony dc, losing your carry permit, posting bond, etc, etc, etc - then by all means don't be an idiot and call in something as minor as you feeling so threatened and endangered that you had to pull out your firearm.
Be my guest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And let us know how that works out for you!

Let me add this. Even if somebody, who knows that you carry, only threatens to report that you've "pulled a gun on them" when you actually haven't you need to document that with the police, or with the civil courts (restraining order) IMMEDIATELY. If anybody else heard that threat, write it up and ask them to sign/notarize it.

In Florida, failure to do this exposes you to a mandatory 3 year prison sentence of which you must serve 100%. And Florida's relatively gun-friendly.

So, if THAT can happen, you most certainly better report any instance wherein you need to legitimately use your gun as a defensive threat. You can be darn sure that if you don't, the police will suddenly become the BG's best friends, because he'll report it.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have some..er..experience in this general area.

A phone is mandatory if you carry a gun, and if you can afford a gun, you can afford a phone.

You do not even need a "plan" or to be signed up with a carrier to be able to call 911 from a cell phone. All you need is a phone, signal, and a charged battery.

invention_45: +1 for the documentation. If someone is out to make your life dificult and unpleasnt, leave a paper trail a mile long of you being the good guy/victim. A PPO is a good idea, as it casts a huge shadow of doubt on any future stunts by the other party, or any other party associated with them.

Back