Do Ramline or Promag clips function properly??

idaho-ar15

I found some ramline and promag clips for my wifes 92 compact custom carry. Are these things junk like USA mags or will they work relativly well?? I know you get what you pay for but these are so cheap I may have to try one of each and see.

idaho-ar15

I had a few ProMag 15 round mags for my Beretta 92 Centurion that functioned flawlessly for the 300 or 400 rounds that I cycled through them.

I don't know if that speaks well for the magazines or for the Beretta though. :)

I've had the Ramline mags for the Hi-Power in the past. They use a special spring arrangement that no other magazine uses. They are also not that great when it comes to honoring the lifetime warranty that they issue with their mags.

If the mags are full capacity, you will be out of luck when the spring weakens. You will be unable to get new springs and Ramline will only offer a credit of $10 towards their other products for each magazine that goes bad.

If the mag is 10rd. capacity there is the chance that Ramline will replace it instead with a new magazine.

Personally, I wasn't real impressed with their customer service. They made it pretty clear that helping me out wasn't a big priority to them and I should be thankful for whatever assistance I got. For that reason alone, I'd say to steer clear of Ramline mags.

I just went through a pistol class with 4 standard (13 round) capacity Pro Mags for my BHP. Flawless function over some 1000+ rounds.

They're not finished as finely as Browning or Mec-Gar mags, but they worked 100%. At around 12 or 14 bucks each, I think they were a bargain. YMMV.

I've used a number of Pro-Mag magazines (for a S&W 669, a Kel-Tec P-11, and now, for a CZ-75 and CZ-85). They've been pretty good, and the price is right. I will buy more.

They work like...

A dream! I like the finish on my Mec-Gars better, but they work so well(100%) in my Taurus PT92 that I went and bought more until I had ten. Their Polymer Glock mags have a metal liner, they approach Scherer mag quality, and you can still get new 15 rd's for the Glock 15 for 28 bucks! (www.cdnninvestments.com) I swear, if I had a Glock now, I would own a minimum of seven, they are good!

Everybody (me included) is commenting on the Pro-Mags, but nobody has said much about Ram-Line.

The few Ram-Line or USA Mags I've been exposed to were NOT the kind of mags I want to buy. USA Mag, especially, seem to be very "iffy" -- you may find one that works, but the next one may be junk. Be wary of these two brands.

I have a RamLine mag for my Browning HP which has been working flawlessly so far, although the rounds rattle in the mag when it is loaded to 15-round capacity.

MecGars are definitely the best; they make all the Beretta factory mags. RamLine can be decent...mine works fine, and their 10/22 mags usually seem to be reliable. ProMags can be so-so...I've had luck with the ProMag for my Tomcat, and so far I haven't found a lemon yet. USA Mags, on the other hand, are junk...I've never owned (or even heard of) a USA magazine with flawless fit or function.

I bought two 10 rd ProMag magazines for my Beretta 96FS (one blue and one stainless -- gun is blue -- actually almost black). Both have functioned flawlessly so far. The only difference is the ProMag's don't have the "witness holes" if that is the right term.

Bruce Woodbury

Oohh! Almost forgot! (I can't believe nobody's jumped on this yet.)

Nitpicker comment: The correct designation is "magazine", not "clip". A magazine is a self-contained cartridge feeding device with an integral spring, whereas a "clip" is a springless device that merely holds a number of cartridges together for ease of feeding and fast reloads.

If it has a spring, it's a magazine. If it has none, it's a clip.

Then again, I guess most USA offerings are "clips", as I could never confirm that the coiled metal thingie inside was, in fact, a spring. It sure never functioned like one. :)

Oohh! Almost forgot! (I can't believe nobody's jumped on this yet.)

Nitpicker comment: The correct designation is "magazine", not "clip". A magazine is a self-contained cartridge feeding device with an integral spring, whereas a "clip" is a springless device that merely holds a number of cartridges together for ease of feeding and fast reloads.

Yes and no.

No less an authority than one major firearms manufacturer (Savage?!) calls their magazines CLIPS in their brochures.

In times past the terms were often used interchangeably. While most purists (and I)agree with your definition of a clip, its not universally used that way.

I have tried Ram-line---terrible in my 92FS. Awfull!
I have not owned Pro-Mag...but have heard so much negative feedback I will not buy any. I like Mecgar (sp?) mags. Those are the only after-market mags I will spend my money on. Period.
My .02

I had 3 Ram Line 17 round mags for my SIG 226. I never experienced a problem with them, and I liked them alot. That is until I managed to trade the 3 Ram Lines for 2 20 round SIG mags :)

Pro mags ok for me

Pro mags are good but they rattle too. I don't know for sure but I think pro-mag makes some of the "factory" mags for some name companies. That could be BS though. I don't know. -ddt

Back