Do muzzle brakes decrease accuracy?

rifleer1

Let's say one that was permanently installed on a postban AR-15. I have heard that it does and doesn't, but does anyone have personal experience or any proof or studies? Thanks, James

I've never heard or seen one that decreased accuracy. Look at the Winchester BOSS system. That one even enhances accuracy. They are louder though. That alone could make you, the shooter, jerk a shot off thereby ruining your accuracy.

------------------
Guard Freedom from those that "want to do it for the Children."

The USAMTU found that the M14 flash suppressor unevenly dissipated gases on the bullet's base as it exited the bore. This led them to conclude that the rifle was more accurate without one. The 11 degree crown is the most favorite right now.

Browning's Boss is an attempt to deliver consistent harmonic frequencies with a specific load. It seems to do this very well, but the problem is the time and effort required to find the "sweet spot" for any particular bullet.

the AR was designed with a threaded barrel so the flash hider & the sight base could be removed.

Permanently fixing the muzzel brake ruins the concept.

In a postban rifle i prefer no brake.

dZ

I'm using a Smith brake on my Bush Shorty. I have fired the rifle with no brake, and I can't tell any difference. If nothing else, the brake will protect the crown from damage. My brake isn't welded on; it's installed with setscrews and 640 Loctite. You can remove it by heating it with a propane torch for a couple of minutes.

I can shoot .5" groups with match ammo. I don't need any more accuracy than that from my Bush.

Back