Do lefties have trouble shooting autoloaders?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Lately, I ahve got into the habit of bringing my HBAR15 and Mak90 to the range...to let people I meet shoot a few rounds. I have never had any malfunctions with either of these...but people who try them often cause stoppages. With AR15, a round feeding at too steep of an angle would hit the top of the receiver. With Mak90, the round would jit the bottom of the feeding ramp OR feed too high.

The only common aspect is that all folks who had trouble were lefties. What's going on...and what can they do to avoid these malfunctions?

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

As a southpaw, I've experienced no problems with the AR15, AK actions. Frankly, I don't think they're holding the gun steady enough to provide a good base for the recoil.

On the other hand Oleg, your guns may be at fault. I'll give ya $250 for each and you can go buy yourself a new one. ;)

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited December 12, 1999).]

Rich has already taken them off my hands in exchange for a very nice pre-ban Webley Mk.IV with an autosear. I hear it punches holes, dresses, slices, dices and sears big game very reliably...just add soy sauce.

Will try it on Wednesday. I don't have any .455 ammo but he told me that I can just put a .38 cartridge in the chamber with some styrofoam around it and it will work even better. I think that's called a sabot or something like it...

I would have thought that a gas-operated rifle would be less demanding of a steady platform than a recoil-operated kind.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Dang Oleg. You sure pulled a fast one over Rich. I hope Rich gave you the shoulder board and spike bayonet which was suppose to go with it. Just be careful with the styrofoam since some tends to be denser than others. It's the compressibility factor we're worried about here. Too much compression and the cartridge may walk.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I'm left handed and I can shoot either or no problem. I do most all of my shooting left handed.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance, Take Someone Out To Learn To Shoot Today.......

I've been left-handed all my life and have never had any problem shooting my Mak 90 or my AR15. I do have a problem with all these
safties, bolt handles, and slide releases on the wrong side of the gun. :)

Back