do i really need to practice "drawing" the gun from holster?

jekla

i dont really carry the gun on me coz i dont a carry permit. do i still need to practice drawing the gun from the holster. basically i keep the gun at home and its a home defense piece.

..you don't "really" carry the gun with you.

heh.

If you have a holster and use it, practice with it.
Odds are you'll be wearing it when you need the gun.
Seconds count when you're forced to use your sidearm.

For home defense purposes, get a shotgun.

Think about it this way: why wouldn't you practice? I can't think of any reason to not practice. I've been overseas for a year. One of the first things I'm doing when I get home is shoot a polite society event. since I haven't been practicing much, my work up will start with unholstering and presenting. It's a basic drill. Get in front of a mirror and start slowly...slow is smooth is fast...

Think about it this way: why wouldn't you practice?

Yep.

jekla, the answer to your question is, NO, you don't have to. You don't have to be prepared. You don't have to have a gun at all. You can have one and not practice at all.

But why would you do that?

Yup. You also need to practice reloading, clearing malfunctions and off-hand shooting. Throw in low light shooting and using a flashlight while shooting.

NO! If you don't carry the gun in a holster, at home or in public, then practicing drawing from the holster isn't going to do you much good. If you are not on a 5 man SWAT team, then you don't really need to practice 5 man SWAT team, team tactics.

Just because you don't carry and don't carry at home in a holster does not mean you aren't prepared. It just means that if you are prepared, it is in another manner. You are just exercising your options in a different manner than those of us who do carry and who carry at home.

With that said, you still need to practice all the other related skills Quartus mentioned as the involve use of the gun.

If you do decide to carry, either Mexican or in a holster, then you need to practice and you need to be proficient. In class and practice, I have seen shooters draw and fumble their handguns. It is very scary to watch and no doubt even more scary to those it happens to and catastrophic when it happens in a real crisis.

jekla, . . . let me echo an old military axiom: under fire, under stress, you will do what you are trained to do.
That said: if you don't have any training, . . . you will try to figure out what you should do and it most likely will be too late to do anything.
If you train to do something, . . . you will be farther ahead.
If you really want to defend yourself & your family, you need to look ahead to the scenarios most likely to confront you, . . . walk through them with your family as to how to respond, . . . and train in those responses.
The classic case was in Miami several years ago when a bunch of federal narc guys got blown away, . . . several of them had empty brass in their hands because they were trained to save their brass when in shooting classes. Their training took over and got them killed.
Train effectively, . . . ardently, . . . positively, . . . and remember it is far better to train for something which never occurs, . . . than to have something occur for which you are not trained.
May God bless,
Dwight

:) You know, when I first started reading your threads I was confused by so many responses that suggested you get professional training; but, now, I'm starting to understand. You appear to be a bright young man with an avid interest in guns. The posted reply ahead of this one, pretty much, says it all!

I will add: DON'T MOVE FAST AND DON'T START OUT WITH A LOADED WEAPON.

Other than this elementary precaution, I would remind you that, 'training' is the best way I know to overcome the, 'confusion of fear'. Yes, you should train. If your mind ever does go into, 'red alert', (and you survive) you'll understand what I'm trying to say to you here.

Do look into that training, won't you! ;)

The classic case was in Miami several years ago when a bunch of federal narc guys got blown away, . . . several of them had empty brass in their hands because they were trained to save their brass when in shooting classes. Their training took over and got them killed.

:rolleyes: I know I'm getting old and a little senile; but don't you mean, 'Los Angeles'? That was a CHP incident, wasn't it? :confused:

Yeah, that one often gets confused with the Miami FBI shootout. The point is still valid, of course, even if the geography was wrong.

To be picky, it wasn't in Los Angeles, it was in Newhall, just north of L.A. It was CHP officers.

Decide what you want or need to be proficient at, then practice that. If you want to add a little stress, try competing. Nobody shoots at you, but the clock puts the pressure on. ;)

Dwight55, I think you are confused about the FBI-Miami shootout. The FBI guys were not narcs, but working bank robberies, specifically by Platt and Matix. It was the to California LEOs that were killed in a gunfight and who had carefully put their empty cases into their pockets.

Yes. Though you do not presently carry in a holster, the time may come when you must (or simply desire to do so) at short notice.

I would venture the opinion that if you choose a handgun for home defense, even if you don't intend to carry in public, you should still have a good holster and belt combo, and practice presentations from same. You never can tell when you might need both hands free, or to reload, and stuffing a pistol in your waistband is NOT a good idea in a fluid and dynamic situation such as a firefight, nor is having to run back to the nightstand for spare ammo. Having a belt/holster/spare ammo pouch combo gives one a small edge IF one is practiced in the use of same.

Items I consider essential in a home invasion/defense scenario:
Carbine
Pistol
Belt, holster, flashlight carrier, and ammo pouches full of spare ammo for both guns
Cell phone
Flashlight

Try juggling all of that, or just a pistol, flashlight, and spare mag, without a holster and ammo carrier. More than one thing will end up on the floor, and your body is likely to be one of them.

Back