Do I need to plug the sight screw hole in my barrel?

aaronsc

This may be a dumb question. I removed the rear sight from my BLR chambered in .270 Win to allow me to mount my scope far enough back to have the proper eye relief. Besides obviously keeping the threads clean, is there a need to screw a plug in the hole. Will the pressure cause damage to the hole or cause a blowout.

The only problem would be that of dirt, if you ever want to reinstall the original sight. Even that is a very minor problem. :)

Most gunsmiths have a "wild animal" box with all sorts of stray items, including blind screws to fill in such holes. Sometimes, freebies.

Thanks Art. I'm trying to find a plug to screw in it, just want to sight the scope in in the mean time.
Also thanks for the advice on a source. I tried the receiver plugs but they are to big. I'll try giving some local shops a call.

I bought the same rifle in January and had to remove the rear iron sight to mount a Vortex 3-9X40. Like Art mentioned I wanted to protect the barrel threads from dirt should I ever decide to reinstall the rear iron sight so I just reused the existing screw from the iron sight with a small lock washer to plug the hole.

My .270 Win BLR is one of my favorite rifles - fun to shoot, accurate and I've worked up numerous loads for it. Mine is the pistol-grip blued version.

I've got the same model. It's a beautiful gun.
That's a good idea with the lock washer. I was going to reuse the screw but was afraid of it working loose and me loosing it. Did you use a regular lock washer from a hardware store?

Yes it is a beautiful gun. Fit and finish is superb and the stock is very nice.

I used a steel lock washer that I had on hand. Not much chance of rusting here in WY but in FL you will need to make sure you keep it oiled. It might be better to use one made from brass or stainless steel.

Most gunsmiths have a "wild animal" box with all sorts of stray items, including blind screws to fill in such holes. Sometimes, freebies.

Exactly. Find a 'smith who has been in business for many years. And even if it's a freebie, insist that he take a tip from you - it's how he makes a living.

I used a dab of blue liquid loctite on the original sight screw. I think I'll try a brass finishing washer to boost aesthetics.

Hi. A steel lock washer will rust and spread said rust. If your local smithy doesn't give you the wee plug screw, Brownell's will sell 'em to you. You need to know the thread of the hole, but a dozen blued plugs runs about $9.
Yes sir I agree. I would not use a plain steel lock washer. I probably won't use a lock washer at all, due to the sharp edges where they're split. The loctite seems to suffice.
I've seen the the screw plugs at brownells website, I just don't know the thread pitch.

I've used a bit of epoxy in screw holes that will never see a screw again, either dyed to match, or colored with Magic Marker or paint. Epoxy melts at a relatively low temperature, so it can be cleaned out easily without damaging the barrel.

Something like spackle that isn't moisture-resistant may not be good.

Back