Do I need to free float for hunting ar15?

sbaker10

My ar is a coyote hunting gun out to 250 yards. As I am thinking of buying a second lower for up close shooting I hesitate to buy the tools needed to install a free float hg or spend 230 on an omega rail. Beyond money I just do not feel comfortable working on my gun to that degree.

I will install a trigger though. And am trying to decide between a Gisele SSA or an omega rail if really needed

Does anyone here use a non free floated ar for coyotes or smaller and found it acceptably accurate?

What's important is that there is reliability for the first shot's point of impact to match the point of aim. If that's the case, group size is pretty much irrelevant. :)

So if that first shot is always about two inches high at a hundred yards when you check it at the benchrest, Wily has a problem.

A good trigger will aid accuracy much more than a free float handguard. I have FF on about 1/4 of my rifles but w/o a smooth trigger, any advantage will not be realized.

if AR's are not free floaters then how do they shoot so accurately.people use then at 600 yd match compatitions and soldiers shoot M16's to long ranges as well

i always thouht they were free floaters

there are two different styles of handguards, non free float and free float. the military does not use free float handguards and I can tell you that few soldiers are good enough marksmen to take long range shots(anything past 300 yards) when it counts even if they did have a free float handguard. I am willing to wager to say that those 600 yard target shooters are all using 24" barrels and free float handguards... in addition to match triggers, and very expensive optics.

Some info I forgot to mention. Typically I use the magazine as a monopod when doing long range shooting. I'm back and forth on the rail. It would improve accuracy but is it worth the. money I'm just not sure

I have some tack driving Weatherby's in my gun safe that have between 4 lbs to 8 pounds of fore end pressure. Free floating is not essential to accuracy.

I've never had any accuracy problems with my AR and it is a run-of-the-mill GI spec DPMS. no free float, no fancy trigger or anything. As others have stated, you have to be a real top notch marksman to discern the difference at anything less than 500yds.

I've never had any accuracy problems with my AR and it is a run-of-the-mill GI spec DPMS. no free float, no fancy trigger or anything. As others have stated, you have to be a real top notch marksman to discern the difference at anything less than 500yds.

Yup. I free floated mine because i assembled the upper myself(at that point, why not?). If i bought the upper and it wasn't FF? I wouldn't change it. FF or not, that gun is way more accurate than I am.

Back