Do I need a Certification?

Gunslick

Do I need a Certification to teach in home defense and firearms safety in CA? I know I need a county business license but I think that is all. I know for CCW instructor I need some kind of Cert but just for general firearms safety and in home defense with rifle/pistol/shotgun would I need one. I have taken carbine courses, shotgun courses just for fun.

These days, if you are going to present yourself as a genuine instructor you should have liability insurance, especially in California.
You also need some kind of bona fides if you expect to sell yourself to potential clients.
That includes how to teach as well as knowledge of the subject you want to teach others.
Good luck with your endeavors.

NRA instructor certification would be a good start. Those courses teach you HOW to teach as much (or more) then WHAT to teach.

Anyone I'd want to be instructing a class I'd definitely want them to have certifications citing the've gotten proper instruction themselves. I'd also want those that have "been there, done that" and not just some one the instructors I've witness that are more Rambo wannabes with Hollywood training.
Would you want your doctor treating you or having been taught by someone that just took a couple courses themselves?
I've driven for decades, should I teach racer driving?
I learned to cook 30 yrs ago, am I culinary teacher capable?

Taking a carbine course and shotgun course and now capable of instructing??? I've taken 3 handgun courses locally, spent a week at Thunder Ranch and gone through the police academy qualification...I must be an expert. ;)

Last edited:
Covers more than instructing

These days, if you are going to present yourself as a genuine instructor you should have liability insurance, especially in California.
From what I'm seeing in our state, this is an important consideration. The certification carries more weight than you might imagine. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

What I look for in a SD instructor is someone who has actual experience in combating violence and dealing with armed predatory people. Teaching someone form and function 101 of firearms is one thing but if a person is going to talk to me about the methodology of any sort of defense, they had better have the creds to back it up along with real world experience.

If the pinnacle of a persons experience is a 2 or 3 day seminar .. I want nothing to do with them. If a person tells me that they have received hundreds of hours of training instruction and [years] of occupational experience in a related field, I will listen.

Without certification of any kind -- what would you call the course -- i.e. -- "Walt's Pretty Good Firearm Safety Course"?!! -- just wondering.

Perforance !!!!

If a person tells me that they have received hundreds of hours of training instruction and [years] of occupational experience in a related field, I will listen.
Yes, that would be preferred but usually not the case. There are many certified instructors who lack such credentials and are still effective. Then there are instructors that have this experience to the point of being full of themselves. As long as they can effectively teach what is required and "certified", I'm good with that, for the folks. ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!

"...many certified instructors who lack..." Yep. Biggest question is, "Certified by whom?". Lot like a guy who just buys videos and then calls himself a gunsmith.
"...in home defense..." CA not kind of frown on thinking about that? Just curious.

All good comments but does anybody know what he legally needs to conduct the courses and charge people for them?

That is, so he doesn't get fined or sued...

Hey, he probably doesn't legally need insurance to conduct the class but should he have it anyway? And what kind of insurance would it be?

Liability insurance if it's available.
Might have to be NRA trained to get it.
Needs a state sales tax license to collect the state's taxes for them.
Also need a place of business zoned for the activity unless he's going to set up folding chairs in the garage.
Since it's about guns, unless it's all being done at a range, might need to be sure the location is zoned for the presence of guns on the premises.
And lots more to open a business these days.
The American dream of running one's own business has turned into a nightmare.

NRA basic Pistol Instructor certification, then purchase the instructor insurance.
Total cost should be just under $600 to obtain both certification and insurance

Just a quick comment for all the "needs to have been there done that to be MY instructor" people.

First, why do you need police or military credentials to coach shooters? I do one-on-one with new shooters just to get smaller groups in target shooting then point them to other instructors if and when they get beyond my area of expertise for instructing. I've never been on the police force nor in the military.

Second, those of you in a hand to hand martial art, do you require your teacher to be an octogon fighter or underground blood sport participant? Learning to use firearms as a defensive/offensive discipline isn't much different from Krav Maga "self-defense" classes.

To follow up, I've taken classes from police officers and there isn't much their experience adds to teaching the introductory defensive use genre a majority of Americans would find useful and actively seek. People need to start somewhere and more people will start the learning process than those that will continue on to higher education, so to speak (partly due to the high cost of firearms training).

When he asked about being an instructor for "general firearms safety", that's one thing.
But throwing in " in home defense", that's a whole 'nuther level.
Makes ya' wonder, don't it?

Not to disparage the OP and his intentions. However, I've talked to some local 'instructors' who never heard of major figures in the national and local training scene. Some local guys are great and I know they have been to the quality training venues.

Types of Certification

"Certified by whom?".
This comment has me asking just how many different certifications are acceptable. I am only familiar with the NRA certification....... ... :confused:

When he asked about being an instructor for "general firearms safety", that's one thing. But throwing in " in home defense", that's a whole 'nuther level. Makes ya' wonder, don't it?

I agree and I am a certified to teach "General or basic firearm safety". I am often asked if I can teach CCW classes and firmly reply that I cannot as that is a different ball-game. I also hear that many "Certified" instructors are NOT well informed on legal issues. Again, Makes you wonder !! ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Yup, it definitely gave the impression of more than just a safety and fundamentals of shooting class. The home defense remark makes me think he's going to be delving into more complex subjects that involve tactics which leads to legal issues that he'll need to be prepared to discuss.

Back