Do guns like the Sig MPX Copperhead make sense?

stephen426

Is it me or do guns like the Sig MPX Copperhead 3.5” make no sense at all, especially without a folding or collapsible stock? My concealed carry has a longer barrel and holds 15+1. It is much more concealable and I carry two spare mags. Since my gun is on my hip, I can get to it much faster than a larger gun, that may require a backpack or other bag. Without a stock, I don’t think the gun is going to be any more stable or easier to shoot. The short barrel means lower velocity so what is to be gained with the extra weight and size of that kind of gun?
718708-14240846.jpg

To me, it seems pretty obviously just for fun/hobby. Which is fine, I'm glad there is a market for niche stuff of questionable utility.

It has some theoretical use if nothing else is available, in the sense that it *is* a gun -- you could put an arm brace on it, and it would function.

Do guns like the Sig MPX Copperhead make sense?

They may or may not make sense to you, but they make $$ for Sig.

You have fallen into the trap of thinking that since it doesn't meet your standards/wants/needs, it doesn't make sense. You have to understand that not everybody shares your values, right? Everything you described sounds like this gun confuses you because it won't meet your concealed carry needs? I am with you on the fact that the configuration doesn't appeal to any of my standards/wants/needs, but it will appeal to some folks, maybe a few, maybe a lot. The only question for Sig is if they anticipated the market correctly. Looking at the reviews for it, they seem rather bipolar. There are a fair number of people claiming to enjoy shooting it and think it is really cool.

I think Metric is right. Most buyers are buying it for a fun gun, a plinker, an oddity. They likely are not buying it for concealed carry or the specific set of parameters you outlined.

As to your question concerning the advantage of the extra size and weight? Potentially, recoil control. The heavier the gun (which usually comes with additional size), the less felt the recoil will be (all other factors being equal).

My brother in law has one. While shooting with him, his brother commented he couldnt hit anything with it and it wasnt all that fun even to pump tula crap. I too felt the same way. I didnt say it though and just asked for another go with his silenced HK 308. That was fun.

People don't have to have good reasons to buy stuff.

"nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"

Some people just like to make noise and have more money than brains. Something like this is perfect for them.

I've transferred several MPX Copperheads and a ton of similar PDW style 9mm pistols, like the B&T.
I agree with Double Naught Spy regarding meeting "your standards/wants/needs".

My usual question is "so.....what you planning to build?" I ask that because I know the customer didnt buy a Copperhead for IWB concealed carry. Typically they plan to either file a Form 1 for a SBR or add an arm brace.

And in regards to ".....The short barrel means lower velocity...." EXACTLY. Using this PDW with a silencer takes advantage of that.

If it came with a longer barrel adding an 8" long silencer makes it far less compact. And thats why PDW style firearms are popular.

Back