Do fixed sights make a difference?

Judge Blackhawk

Okay fellas and ladies,

Does different makes of fixed sights make that much of a difference?

Also, it is worth putting high priced adjustable target sights on my 1911? It has the standard sights on it now.

Thanks Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm --Judge Blackhawk

I think it would depend on your used and the way you shoot. If you only point shoot at close range then no they are not needed. If you speed shoot at moderate range, good sights are helpful (fixed or adjustable). If you compete at long range (i.e. bullseye) or switch loads a lot, then adjustables are very helpful.

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!

That reminds me of the old New York joke:
A man asking directions.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"..answer:

PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

It's the same with shooting.

Find a good load, stick to it, then do the above,(Practice) and you'll find the fixed sights good enough for all but the most demanding longer range shooting, and even that can be done when that pistol becomes an extension of your body and mind.

I've acquired a number of guns over the years, but the first ones I got and have the most experience with are the ones I shoot the best.

For the better shooters, sights do make a big difference. In particular, the reflective surfaces and apparant "gap" between the rear and front sights are important. I use fixed sights on my "combat" pistols and all of my target guns gave adjustables. I like Bo-Mar and Heinie, but there are a lot of great sights available.

ALL I CAN SAY IS I HAVE GONE BOTH WAYS.BUT RIGHT NOW THE MOST ACCURATE PISTOL I OWN HAS FIXED SIGHTS,2 INCHES OFF HAND 20 YDS.OH YEA THE GUN,COLT SAA 44 SPECIAL.AND BY THE WAY AND NO ONE WILL TAKE IT IF I CHOSE NOT TO GIVE IT

It depends a great deal on the guns purpose. On defensive handguns, I prefer fixed sights. They're simple and solid with little chance of hurting them. While on guns intended for just about everything else, I prefer adjustable. That way I can set the sights to match the load I'm using.
Either way, you need good sights. That is sights that are easy to see well and easy to pick up fast. My Commander is a good example. When I got it, the gun had the old small military sights. They were pretty much useless. I changed them to a set of King's Hardball 3-dots and it made all the difference in the world.

How are your eyes? That has made a great deal of difference to me. With old eyes, Ive determined adjustable sights were not worth the hassle, although I am considering Fiber optic inserts for the front sight. Any comments?

I find fixed sights will work for 99% of my shooting. I'm always looking for tightness of groups when I'm TARGET shooting. I have a 1911 with good Bomar sights and it is purely a TARGET shooting gun and for those you need adjustable sights. But once set for the load that shoots best in my gun I can go years without adjusting them.
As for self defense guns, there is really no need for adjustable sights. You will deal with such close range situations that sights won't even be a consideration. NYPD says 10-11 feet is NORMAL, beyond 21 feet is almost unheard of. Common sense prevails.

Back