Do empty 1lb LP tanks make any noise when shot?

Pops1085

Well after this hunting season I'm going to have a bunch of those little green LP tanks empty and laying around and was wondering how they would do for targets out past 150 yards. Anybody know what they're made of? If they're too soft the bullets may just pass right through without moving them or making a sound. They seem like if they did either they would be great little targets to practice some shooting out to 400-500 yards. Thoughts?

Not really a lot of noise compared to the muzzle blast, and at 150+ yards you probably won't hear it from behind the gun.
But of you put a string on their neck and hang them up, a hit will be very obvious.

There is a point at which you can distinguish the bullet impact sound separately from the noise of the rifle.

Shooting water jugs learned me that, its past 100yds. But not too far.

Too close it's disguised by the rifle sound.
Metal things should produce some sound.

Anybody know what they're made of?

Since they are a pressure vessel, they are made of steel.

Another fun target is empty paint cans of various sizes - filled with water and the lids hammered on tight, set them lid side down. When hit, the pressure should send them skyward.

I've sent them skyward as explained but I didn't mean too lol.

Small water vessels are real fun with super light varmint bullets.

Point them toward you and aim for the neck. Its thicker and will drive them away. Later you can see how well you shoot when you pick them up to dispose of them.

There will be no BOOM or anything.

OR Aim where the can and ground meet. The can will go straight up. It will impress your friends.

David

Generally, all they are capable of are phrases like "You got me, you dirty rat", and similar such mindless expressions, being mindless and all.

They are steel, not much reaction besides rolling around.

You can get a device to refill them out of the typical 5gallon/20# can.

They seem like if they did either they would be great little targets to practice some shooting out to 400-500 yards. Thoughts?
My only thought who's going to clean up the mess after possibly scattering metal shrapnel around.

They make excellent pistol targets and since they don't shatter, they are easy to clean up. Glass bottles are among the very worst targets. I won't shoot them for that reason. Like TV's; who does that? But tin cans and empty mini propane cans and water filled milk jugs? Absolutely, but I always clean up afterwards.

You can buy a kit to refill them from larger tanks, and spend the money you save buying new ones on better targets.

OR Aim where the can and ground meet. The can will go straight up. It will impress your friends.

If it's about a third full, hit it close to the bottom and it will go up a long way and leave a vapor trail. Hit it around the middle and it will spin around on the ground. Hit it anywhere else and it will go skittering across the ground, maybe back towards you, just no telling.

No. And neither do full 25 and 100 pounders. Shooting holes in 'em(at roughly 500 to 700 yards) creates a nice white cloud that wafts around on the ground though. Really nice WHOOOSSSHHH!!! with a great, big, black, ball of smoke and fire, when the cloud has a .50 cal. APTI go through it. That was at the Second Chance Night Tracer Festival years ago.
Empty 1 pounders just sit here.
"...going to have a bunch of..." Better to spend the $50ish on the hose and connector to use the 25 pounders with lamps and stoves. There's a Propane Distribution Tree you can get that lets you connect more than one thing to one tank too.
"...Small water vessels are real fun..." 48 ounce cans of tomato juice. With assorted stuff. One of which was a 12 ga. slug from about 20 yards. Saw the lid of the can going up and over the 100 foot high back stop of a CF range while under the recoil.

Back