Do any of you...?

• Thread starter Thread starter PreserveFreedom
  • Start date Start date
P

PreserveFreedom

Does anyone here hunt during muzzleloading season with a muzzleloading barrel that mounts on a modern firearm? I am referring to the barrel swaps that Thompson/Center offers for the Encore or the 50 cal barrel that you can get for your Mossberg 500. Seems like an econimocal way for someone to get into a variety of stuff. Also seems like a good idea for someone that just doesn't want a lot of guns (Not me! I want a lot. ;)). What is their performance/quality like?

I haven't tried them, nor do I know anyone who has. If cost is a concern, it shouldn't be, you can easily get set up to hunt with a ML for $200 and $250, so personally I don't see a great advantage.

I and two friends use the Thompson Center Encore. Each of our rifles will consistently shoot 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards. We each took a whitetail this year and experienced excellent performance.

One benefit of this setup is the ease of cleaning. We set ours up with the Leupold QRW rings. We can take the barrel off, then the scope, for cleaning.

So far, our cold-bore shots have all returned to within 1" of point of aim.

It is easy to load, easy to clean and easy to make safe...just break it open and remove the primer.

Certainly not part of a "Historical" experience, but gets us more time in the woods.

Back