Do Any of You IDPA Shooters with with a MILSPEC M1911?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

Geez! I have read all of these recent posts about folks with problems with their tricked out M1911s, especially Kimber. All I have ever owned are MILSPEC M1911s (except for my current Colt CCO) and I have never had any trouble with any of them that wasn't cosmetic or couldn't be fixed with replacement of a slide stop. So I was wondering... do any of you COMPETE and WIN with a MILSPEC M1911, or something close to it? In my opinion, all a MILSPEC M1911 needs is a good trigger job and a high vis front sight post. The high grip beaver tail feels great in the hand, but do they really make you guys better "combat" shooters? Shucks, I even think the MILSPEC versions LOOK better! Appreciate your comments. Also, can anyone give me a price range I should stay in to purchase a genuine GI M1911A1 in serviceable condition? And a source of supply? I appreciate it!

I know a guy thats selling a colt 1911 that was issued in WWII. Its got 2 rounds through it (the guy that owns it didnt wanna put any wear on it since it was an officers retirement gift) he has the original wood box that the gift came in. and is selling it for $600

im not sure if this is what you wanted. but i figured i would throw it out there. If not for IDPA, its still a great gun with alot of history behind it.

------------------
TIM : )

I'm sure some have - and do - compete with MIL-Spec guns and I've known a few who started out that way, but darned few 1911's stay MIL-SPEC for long once the shooter starts shooting a lot!

A pure MIL-SPEC 1911 is not very ergonomic and most folks find them pretty uncomfortable to shoot under IDPA match conditions (which closely simulate concealed carry conditions). They were designed for warfare not concealed carry or action pistol competition. Their role as a weapon of last resort, in the hands of a soldier, drawn from a flap holster and fired sparingly, is an unquestioned success. But the MIL-SPEC 1911 was never intended to be drawn from concealment with speed, safe-off on the fly, rapidly acquire sights, execute rapid double taps and speed reload!

The major modifications made to IDPA competition and concealed carry 1911's consist of items intended to improve the overall handling characteristics of the gun. Better hand position via the upswept beavertail grip safety allows faster follow up shots with more comfort and promotes proper hand position even during a rapid draw. The extended thumb safety allows fast, positive, one handed engagement and disengagement. The beveled mag well (or even add on mag well) helps with reloads during the stress of competition (or a gunfight?). The flat, checkered mainspring housing improves grip and pointability.

Then there's fit - the tighter fits on todays 1911's DO NOT affect reliability if properly done - there's just too many that aren't properly done! But that is a manufacturing quality problem, not a design flaw! There is no need for a non-military sidearm to be sloppy. The mission is different and the conditions are different. The sheer number of rounds fired through a typical IDPA gun (and hopefully a carry gun) demand tighter fits and proper care in order to last. The improvement in accuracy is required for the new mission of the old warhorse - NO COLATERAL DAMAGE!

And the fancy shmancy sights are a heck of an improvement over the little bumps that grace the slide of a MIL-SPEC gun!

If you still have your heart set on a MIL-SPEC gun, you can get real close with the Springfield MIL-SPEC model or the Colt 1991-A1. Both are their manufacturer's attempt to go "retro". You'll have to cruise the gun shows or find a private supply for a real G.I. piece and finding one "un-tweaked" may be difficult.

Mikey

Wow Jerky... $600 for WWII 1911 that's had 2 rnds through it.
BARGAIN !!!!
Dogger, for a price comparison go to
http://www.gunsamerica.com/showguns.cgi?guncat=1330
I'm sure that you'll find $600 to be a good price for the above gun.
But if you look in the Guns America list you'll also see a Norinco Govt. for $400.
I had one that was so accurate, it would've put a $1000 gun to shame !
The're about as an authentic a copy of a MILSPEC M1911 that you can get & they also come with sights you can see. ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back