Do .223 HP's Expand?

VictorLouis

All you varmint hunters, what's been your experience here? Any signs of expansion, deformation, or break-up? Or just marketing hype charging you more for "premium" ammo? Perhaps someone knows of a LE use of such rounds and can relate personal experience.

I've been using 50gn Nosler BT's for prarie dogs and they blow the little beasties up out to about 400-450yds. As for HP's I used to use them back prior to the Nosler's and they usually worked, but not to as great a range. Would get occasional failures at 300yds or so. Depends on the weight, velocity and design. 69gn Sierra MatchKings would sometimes blow up the critters at close range, but more often zipped through without doing anything. Not unexpected. Would maybe work better on people if you hit bone or something solid, as opposed to lung tissue. Semper Fi...

I'm waiting on Triton Ammo to come out with .223 Quik-Shok. Now those should be just the ticket!

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Well, hollowpoints around 50 grains, within 150 yards or so, do absolutely horrible things to jackrabbits and coyotes. Dunno if they expand, but the exit wound diameter runs about 3"-4". :)

FWIW, Art

Back