Do 10mm Glocks Go KaBoom?

Hard Ball

Looking over my file on Glocks going KaBoom, I noticed something intereting. The data I have collected seems to indicate that 9mm Glocks very seldom go KaBoom while larger calibers do. The 40 S&W seems to be the worst caliber, probably becayse of its higher pressures. Then I noticed something that strikes me as odd. I have never heard of a 10mm Glock going KaBoom and it is also a .40 caliber high pressure cartridge.
Is this because relatively few 10mm Glocks are in use or does the 10mm Glock differ smeway in its design?
Has anyone seen or heard of a 10mm Glock going KaBoom or have a theory as to why they don't seem to?

"Has anyone seen or heard of a 10mm Glock going KaBoom or have a theory as to why they don't seem to?"

I've been told 10 mm has thicker brass and is thus stronger than .40 brass. I too have never heard of a 10 mm KB, but it can happen!

The only KaBoom I have ever personally witnessed was a 10mm Glock 20. It busted the frame and blew the magazine out. The shooter said it felt like somebody hit his hand with a ball bat but there were no cuts and no lasting injury. The owner later told me the cause was a double charge of powder. The good news was Glock repaired it, including replacing the frame and even refinishing the slide for $75.

Interesting point Quantum Singularity. I have never had a 10mm automatic so I have not worked with the case. If it is thicker that may account for the rarity of 10mm Glock KaBooms.

The 10mm Glock has a very well supported chamber. The brass is reported thicker at the web. The Glock 10mm is much like the Glock 9mm in that it has a very well supported chamber and a thick barrel.

The .357 Sig seems to have no problems as well, sans bullet setback issues which have nothing to do with the gun, but is an ammo problem. I have seen one case of a bullet setback in a .357 that blew the gun up, but that would blow up any gun, and ammo problem has hopefully been fixed by ammo manufacturers.
In fact, almost all kB's are ammo failure. But, .357 ammo these days is glued or crimped tighter, and I do not see kB in .357 Glocks ever being a problem.

The only Glock that I see even a little evidence of a problem is the .40, because it has a loose chamber that allows brass to stretch and lose strength after repeated shooting of reloads. Even the .45 Glock has very seldom problems. And, since ALL guns have kB's, you should expect to see them occasionaly in any sample study.

The only Glock that I see even a little evidence of a problem is the .40, because it has a loose chamber that allows brass to stretch and lose strength after repeated shooting of reloads. Even the .45 Glock has very seldom problems. And, since ALL guns have kB's, you should expect to see them occasionaly in any sample study.

Well, since Glock only recommends the shooting of factory jacketed ammo, this isn't really a factor, is it? All KB's that people claim are Glock's fault must have been user error.

I think the arguement can be made that the 10mm glock being based on the 45 glock frame has more support (read steel) where it needs to be then the 40s&w version. Also if you section a 10mm case and compare it to a 40 case you will see it is significantly thicker in the web.

All Glocks go KB dont they? Honestly, that must be the reason that I own (2) Glock .40s and (1) Glock 9mm and guess what,,,,after thousands and thousands of rounds my fingers are all still in tact.

The Glock line of 10mm is very popular and if you cand find one, which I cant by all means get it. They are very acurate and powerful at the same time, there is alot of people that hunt with G-20s I have been looking for one for months (I live in MA) but havent stumbled onto one yet.

If you like the gun by all means buy it, the chances of you experiencing a KB is very slim to say the least.

Even when it does happen I have never heard of anybody being seriously injured as a result and even them Glock will give you a new pistol pronto.

Again,,,,I wouldnt get too stuck on the KB issue if you like the gun, I love my Glocks and wouldnt trade them for anything.

~Jason

I was working as a range officer at a local range when a fellow shooting a G20 had it go KB. It blew the mag out of the gun, somehow disloged the mag release and as in an earlier post, the guy said it felt like bomb going off in his hand. He wasn't severely injured, but he said his hand was sore for days. He was shooting reloaded ammo and in looking at the case, it was most likely a double charge.
The gun was repaired by a Glock Armorer who also worked at that range.
Mark / FL

Back