DNQ for today--what's "Decocker-only" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Kinda embarassing, but I'm not sure what this means. Is this a pistol without an external hammer that can be used to decock?

What is this and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

BTW, DNQ=Dumb Newbie Question. ;)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Gwinny,

I THINK it's a lever on the pistol that JUST decocks the gun -as opposed to the SAFETY lever serving as BOTH safety and decocker.

If I recall correctly, it's a feature on some Sigs (or perhaps H&K's).

Mikey

Hi Gwinny,
"Decock Only" means that the lever on the pistol only decocks it, and does not funtion as a safety. Most safety levers on the modern double action pistols drop the hammer when placed on safe, the Decock only variation seems to be a special request from some law enforcement agencies, and I can't recall the reasons for them.

By the way, no dumb questions here.

------------------
TJS

[This message has been edited by Tim Schlosser (edited October 15, 1999).]

Whereas the decocker on a S&W 4006, for example, acts as a safety. You could be dead meat in a critical situation if you forget to raise it after decocking.

Schlosser--I can say it, 'cause it's MY question. :)

I think I get it. I was looking at Rugers (online) and several were listed as decock only, so I got curious.

Does that usually mean NO safety or just that the safety is separate from the decocker?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

The term decocker can be linked to two pistol functions...
The most obvious is the feature on SIGS that allows you to safely drop hammer back to the DA position from cocked SA position.
The second is what I think you are talking about, that being the feature on some guns that automatically decocks weapons to DA position when manually placed on safe by the user. I know Berettas have them from my MIL experience, I think that Ruger as well as SW auto loaders have this same feature.

And TIM is right there are no stupid questions, especially when it comes to the potentially dangerous realm of firearms. You can never know enough and we as humans will never know it all...
Hope my $00.02 helps.

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 15, 1999).]

Usually with the "decock" feature the hammer is dropped on a round in the chamber, that is going from SA to DA.

On some weapon types, like the Sigs, the decock lever springs back to it's original position, and the safety is the long DA pull of the first shot. Whereas on others like the Beretta "FS" pistols you also have the manual safety feature. It has to be manually disengaged to the fire. I particularly don't care for manual safeties on a carry gun. They can be fumbled in a high stress situation (just my opinion).

Now, the HK USPs have the multi modal feature of having both options on some of thier varients...

Some handguns are DAO, double action only, the Kahrs are a good example.

Then you got "Safe Action" on the Glocks.

Hope this helps to confuse you more :)

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back