Divot? In rossi 44mag octagon barrel...

candlejackstraw

I noticed this at the range today. Its a rossi 44 mag octagon barrel, less then two months old. Is this inconsistency in the "flatness" of the barrel an issue?
ce2438ea00e4e59ebcc677a38d4b2056.jpg

Shouldn't be a safety issue, but is a definite QC issue. Looks like they had to remove a tooling mark or something and got carried away.

That much squeeze on the barrel is probably affecting things somehow.
Like maybe the bullet as it passes and/or causing a pressure spike.
Even more disturbing is whoever did it knew and covered it over.
It's a shame that new stuff needs as much inspection as used ones before purchase.
But it seems that's the way the universe is heading.
My one and half year old truck has had three recalls so far.
Atlas is shrugging.

Yea there doesn't look to be any tooling marks, and the bluing is even over it.
Tool mark removal is done during polishing. And polishing is done before bluing. (Otherwise, polishing removes the bluing.)

I doubt very much that the "divot" is the result of a blow that could possibly affect the firing of the rifle. Any blow that hard would leave damage that could not be polished out.

Either somebody goofed and they just polished out the result, or they removed some marking that was either in error or was no longer valid. (Example: it was marked with the name of a distributor who no longer handled the line; they wouldn't throw away the barrel, they would just grind out and polish the marking.)

I can't see that it would make any real difference and probably would never be noticed if no one points it out.

Jim

Back