Distance selectable sights

Guy B. Meredith

I believe that a segment of American Shooter highlighting PPC mentioned that the competitors have rear sights that can be moved into position for each distance without changing overall settings. This means moving up a set distance for 50 yards and then back down for 25, etc. with a single, preset move.

Can anyone tell me more about these and whether they are avaliable for the S&W 686 or 627?

I think that these are sight ribs that replace both the front and rear sights. Some adjust the front sight, others the rear.

S&W used to make "silhouette" models with long barrels and front sights with 4 settings for 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards, calibrated to a certain type of factory ammo. You could zero the revolver using the rear sight, and then just change the front sight setting when going from the 200 yd Rams to the 50 yd chickens. The 44 Magnum model wasn't very popular, as it came out before the endurance modifications and was calibrated to 240 gr factory ammo instead of the hot 300 grain handloads being used. But S&W also made 586 models with this sight, so maybe you could talk to the factory and see if they have parts available that a gunsmith could adapt for your 686.

Smith & Wesson made such a product for the 629 some years back, but it was more for silhouette shooting. Power Custom does make a sight rib that sits on top of a factory six inch barrel. It also requires some serious machining work to install. It is almost cheaper to build a PPC gun out of that 686 (Slab barrel, sight rib and underlug). And later on, most all the modifications can be reversed if needed. Also seen a lot of used PPC guns selling for less than $500, a bargain when you consider the cost of doing it yourself.

05gun.jpg

Robert

The purpose of the query is that in ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts) some stages mimic PPC and go up to 50 yards and have par times. With the stock rear sight I have to hold to a very slim arc of what is a very fuzzy bullseye with the glasses I need. The three way sight would allow me to maintain my normal sight picture at 50 yards.

I do not want to do any major surgery as I like to keep everything nearly off the shelf or capable of being easily restored to stock. Also the gun needs to remain as light as possible for this action pistol sport.

I have now been told that Aristocrat is one common sight, but cannot locate information or vendor. Does Millett do a three position for revolver? Any others?

Back