Dissassembly of the Astra 200/Baby Browning

Alex Johnson

Howdy, I found myself an intersting project gun. It is an Astra model 200 .25 auto pistol that looks very close to the Baby Browning. The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, but almost no finish, leaving me the freedom to reblue it without guilt. My problem is that I have no experience with this particular pistol. Does anyone know of a book that deals with dissasembling the Astra 200, or even a Baby Browning? Any information would be appreciated.

Hi, Alex,

The Astra 200 and the old Browning 25 and Colt 25 appear similar, but the Astra uses a hammer while the Colt and Browning pistols are striker fired. Field stripping is about the same. Remove magazine and make sure the pistol is empty. Then, looking at the front of the pistol, draw the slide back until the barrel can be turned clockwise and its lugs are visible in the ejection port. Let the slide come forward slowly. On the Browning and Colt, just before releasing the slide, insert the magazine if the gun has a magazine safety, and pull the trigger, releasing the firing pin. (This keeps the firing pin spring from jumping out when the slide is fully removed.)

On the Baby Browning and Bauer, again make sure gun is empty. Pull the slide back until it can be locked in place by pushing up on the safety. Turn the barrel clockwise, as described above, then release the slide, releasing the firing pin.

There is a book series called Gun Digest Book of Firearms Disassembly/Assembly by J.B. Wood that is available at most gun shows or through Digest Books, Inc. Volume 1 is Automatic Pistols.

Jim

Back