Disposing of Old Ammo?

reubenray

Being I have accumulated enough fresh handgun ammo I am thinking of getting rid of my old ammo. Most of this are reloads that were done back in the early 90's. Some are factory, but not much.

How would be the best way to dispose of this?

I can PM you my address and a prepaid shipping label to ensure that this "old" ammo is disposed of properly.

But seriously, like burrhead says: Shoot em

But I will if you really don't want to.

It’s mostly all gone, but people still buy and shoot surplus ammo from WW II so I wouldn’t worry about the 90s.

If the ammo has been stored properly, it still should be good ammo. I wouldn't rely on it for SD, but would definitely shoot it at the range.

These were reloads made by a friend back in the early 90's.

OK - I will shoot them at the range. Would it better to use new ammo to sight in my red dot instead of the old ammo on my 9MM Hi-Point carbine?

Rough in your zero with your cheapest ammo, then fine tune with what you plan on using.

I used to have a hi-point 9mm carbine. It was even more reliable and trouble free than it was ugly. It’s very ugly. It’s very reliable. It ran with any rubbish ammo I could get cheap 20 years ago, and that is saying a lot.

In my opinion, if you live in the country and have raccoons pestering the trash cans or chickens, it’s the tool for the job. Thumbs up as a rugged camp or ranch rifle.

I’ve been trying to burn up 38/357 that I loaded in the 80’s. It all shoots fine, the 357’s are very accurate out of my Coonan.

I dispose of the dud & dropped ammo from the dud buckets at our range all the time. Breaking it down is not hard but it is time consuming.
Breaking it down you can reuse your primers, brass & bullets. Just saving primers would be worth while these days.

Back