Dispite my best efforts

DennisCA

I have few "brown spot" inside my single-shot black powder pistol. Doesn't too serious, so how git rid of these areas before it turns into a bigger problem. I've drubbed the hell out of after my last shoot, and ran a few patches with oil down the barrel. So what did I do wrong?
:confused:

I wash mine in hot soapy water. Run a couple of patches down the barrel to dry it out, and then I give it a good shot of WD-40, followed by more patches. Finally, oiled patches... And then I let it sit muzzle down for a couple of hours. I check the pistol after about two or three days to make sure nothing (rust) has formed in the barrel. Then it is into the safe for a rest until the next range day.:cool:

WD-40 is a fantastic rust preventative. I use it for all my firearms as a cheaper replacement for something like Break Free CLP.

I also flush my BP guns out with 10 parts water one part Ballistol. Works real good, followed by dry patches and some pure ballistol to lube the bore/chambers.

I'm not wanting to start a lube war but it's been proven many time, including a great test run here that WD40 is a lousy rust preventative, gums up to varnish over time.
I use the stuff but only to insert the little straw thingy into small places to hose out crude, the blow the WD out with my air compressor, then lube with
recommened good lube products.
WE has it's uses but much better lubes abound.
Don't take anything personally please.
About cleaning a black power arm If using real black soapy water, flush with hot clean water, dry well, lube, check next day to ensure rust isn't
developing.
I like Ballistol & water also.
I've used 33%/33%/33% hydrogen peroxide, Murphy's Oil Saop/90% rubbing alcohol with very good results but always check a day or two later for corrosion.
NEVER use petro lubes in a black powder bore. If you must them use alcohol (90%) to clean the oil out prior to shooting it with black.

- Simple soap & water (couple dishwashing soap* drops in a pint of warm water).

- Scrub/wash back & forth w/ several patches like you're washing dishes/drinking glasses. Nothing dramatic.

- Dry out with several patches. Again nothing special.

- Make sure to also pull the nipple and treat/clean/dry both it & the flash channel as above (pipe cleaner for flash channel)

- DO USE BreakFree or any other heavy-duty CLP Oil on a patch or two, scrubbing back & forth in bore/pipe cleaner in channel. Wipe down outer surfaces.

- Walk away.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Before shooting, scrub two dry patches/one pipe cleaner through bore/channel.
- Load & shoot.

BOTTOM LINE: There is no black magic or secret formulas for black powder cleaning.
Nothing is more effective than simple soap and water (add a dash of water soluble cutting oil if you must ... but the water does the cleaning).
DO use standard CLP/preservative gun oils to protect afterward

* SimpleGreen works OK too. When all the dust settles, you just want to break the water's surface tension.

Last edited:
Back