Disheartening

deerslayer303

I just found out Green Mountain is no longer making drop in Barrels for the TC Hawken. I SO wanted a roundball barrel for my beloved Hawken.

My TC Hawken was the second black powder rifle I bought. Got it in the 70's when I was 16. They only had round ball barrels in them back then (AFAIK). I think mine is a 1 in 66. What is yours deerslayer? 1 in 48?

Not as accurate a rendition as the Pedersoli but closer than the TC's, CVA's and Investarms and cheaper than the Perdersoli is the Lyman Great Plains with a 1:60 twist.

+1.

After the Pedersoli, the Lyman GPR is the most authentic bang for your buck "Hawken" style rifle out there... that actually closely resembles a real Hawken, not a modern day ignoramus pretend Hawken.

The TC's etc. do have somewhat of a basis in history. They strongly resemble trade rifles from the mid 1870's. They could have called them something besides a Hawken which they don't resemble at all.

Barrels are easy to get and installing a rib, underlugs, thimbles/pipes isn't hard. Getting that tang and drum is the key.

Yeah my TC is 1:48. It does okay with roundball just not as good as a GPR, which I have also. I just LOVE the style of a TC Hawken they are beautiful in my eyes. I just DONT shoot Conicals out of my rifles. I like slinging roundball. The GPR is .54 and the TC is a .50. So I may just get a barrel blank and git er done.

"In-The Spirit"

They could have called them something besides a Hawken which they don't resemble at all.
Well, at first TC did not mark them with "any" name. Later they did refer to them as the Hawken -Model as well as other manufacturers and believe me, there were a bunch of them. TC and most others just wanted to show that their models were, "In-The Spirit" and by my measure, that is acceptable. This is your measure to make as well. ..... ;)

By the way, Jake and Sam never made a Hawken model, it was referred to as the Great Plaines Rifle and most of their rifles were 1:48. So "perhaps", Lyman ",might" deserve more criticism by some. I sure done have a problem. .... ;)

Be Equitable and;
Be Safe

Back