Discontinued models?

DeltaCypher0

Inactive
So I was just about decided on buying the Marlin 925, so I called my local retailers and no one carried one. Nor did they carry a Ruger 77/22. I went to Marlin's website, and they don't seem to carry any bolt action .22s. So now my choices of American bolt action .22s are completely limited to the Ruger. I couldn't find anything on Remington's website either. Seems like these companies are only producing lever actions, pump, or semi-auto. So disappointing.

Marlin makes bolt rifles, they call them XT Models.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xt/default.asp
But they are still cheaply made for price point competitiveness. I have never met anyone who was totally fired up about buying a cheap rifle just because they saved a few bucks if the rifle is falling apart a couple of years down the road.

And it would be hard to go wrong with a Ruger 77/22. If you want irons, look around and find one from about 5 yrs ago, they still had iron sights on them then.

If you don't want a Ruger, buy a Remington 547. You have to order it from the Custom Shop, but they are really nice, quite possibly the nicest 22 bolt rifle Remington has ever made.

And if that isn't in the cards, buy a Cooper.

Oh, come on Scorch. The Marlin bolt .22s don't fall apart.
Cosmetically, the receiver is a step down from the Savage Mk II, but they're both the same basic design: A tube with a barrel stuck in it and a cheaply-manufactured bolt with the handle serving as the locking lug, all strapped to a cheap stock. There's really not much that can go wrong; and if anything does, you should see at least a hint of the future problem when the rifle is new.
But, the Marlins are usually cheaper to buy; and the Marlin magazines are far superior, look better, and don't have sharp edges and sharp corners.

Everything in the same price range as the Marlin bolt guns are just as "cheaply" made. But, none of them have durability/reliability issues.

I fully agree, though... The Ruger 77/22 and Remington 547 are a tremendous step up in fit, finish, and accuracy. But... the Remington will run you $1,000 or more.

I've been racking my brain, trying to think of another... but, I think the Ruger 77/22 is actually the only readily-available .22 bolt rifle that uses locking lugs other than the bolt handle. (Not that it matters much.)

There is a reason that God invented gun shows. You can find all manner of "out of date" rifles. And, some larger gun shops have good-used trade-ins in the rack.

AFAIK, Weatherby, Mossberg & Savage are still making .22 boltguns, too.

GAnewrifles07_010407I.jpg

24151.jpg

savage_markII-BV.jpg

Back