Discoloration on ruger gp-100 .357

ragingbull454

Hi guys:

I just bought a Stainless steel Ruger GP-100 .357. I think I love this gun more than life itself, but...

After I fired it at the range with a 50 round box of ammo, there was a lot of discoloration on the front of the cylinder. I have tried various solvents to get the shininess back, but I can't. I've talked to at least 2 people about this, and they said its from the heat.

I like to have very clean, shiny guns, but this is my first revolver, and I think it just distorts the whole look of the gun.

It looks as if the stainless steel finish was destroyed on this part of the revolver. Any suggestions?

My next revolver is going to be a .44 stainless revolver with hopefully a 7 inch barrel or longer. I saw one the other day, and those are just absolutely sweet!

Thanks,

Erick
erick@asus.net

EASY FIX

Kleen-Bore Lead-Away cloth.

Gentle polishing with this treated cloth will quickly restore appearance of your GP.

I don't think its lead fouling, though. I use pro shot solvent to clean the barrel and all 6 cylinders, and with a few strokes through it, its good as new, but the front tip of the cylinder is totally different.

The rest of the stainless steel portion of the gun is shiny, but this section is really dull. I hope that's a better description.

Thank you for replying.

Erick
erick@asus.net

ERIC

Own two GP's; know exactly what you mean.

It will never polish bright-n-shiny unless you do it yourself; it's kind of a matte finish there.

Try the cloth.

Hello,

Where can I find Flitz?

I'm going to post pictures later today so you can see what I'm talking about in case I'm not describing it well enough.

Thanks guys!

Erick

Flitz can be had at most gun shops, sometimes walmart, in the hardware section, Home Depot, ect...

I get mine from Brownell's online. I use it for just about everything. Cleans and polish well and makes a pretty good tooth paste :)

I've had good luck...

..with the Birchwood/Casey "Lead Remover & Polishing Cloth". Works well, and much better than I thought it would. Inexpensive too. (Under $5.00)

Kentucky Rifle

Have four stainless revolvers. All have same effect on front of cylinder. Initially, I cleaned the devil out of them. Now, I accept it as normal. Since I'm not standing in front of them, I don't see it and don't worry about it. If someone else is standing in front of one of them, the appearance of the front of the cylinders is probably the least of his worries.

Dull Cylinder Picture

Hi Guys:

You probably think I'm picky, but I'm new to guns, and have always admired how shiny they are, and after I shoot them, I spend hours cleaning them so they look like new. It just brings me so much joy. I love this gun, but the front of the cylinder is disapointing. I'm attaching a picture so you guys might be able to help me in case I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for all your replies.

Erick

Attachments

• dull cylinder.jpg
    dull cylinder.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 161
That is scorch marks from the hot gasses and flame. It can be polished out with Flitz or with the lead cloths the others mentioned. It will clean up until you fire it again, then it will be back, a never ending battle.

Bob

Someone named "Ragingbull454" just got a GP100 as a first revolver? weird but okay....

some gun solvent, like Hoppes #9 oughtta do the trick!

I wanted a gun, the ruger just happen to come my way. If, by chance you were wondering about my name, ragingbull454 just came from the Taurus model I'm sure all of you are familiar with. Couldn't think of another name.

Erick

well you have a great gun if yours shoots as well as mine. I have several revolvers and they all get a good bath in Flitz after each range session. Only my ugly glock is allowed to go without cleaning between range sessions, and that is only rarely.

ONE LAST (public) THOUGHT

"If you have time to clean them you have time to shoot them. What would you rather be doing?"

I use the "metal magic" cloth advertised in Midway. It makes my 1983 Mod 66 look new. But as mentioned earlier as soon as you shoot it again-it will return. Good luck.

discoloration gone! My baby is back to normal!

Hi guys:

Thanks for all your replies. I go to school in a really tiny town (I'm from Chicago), and went to Walmart, Farm King (another Walmart clone), and neither of them had the Flitz, Birchwood-Casey or Kleenbore stuff you guys mentioned, and finally to the gun store in town that everyone hates. I bought a steel brush from him (not the bore brush type, looks kinda like a toothbrush), and he said to let solvent soak into it for 5 minutes, and then scrub it off with the brush. I did that, and its good as new! I'm so thrilled! I really hated those burn marks.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Erick

Here's one more thing to try. Simichrome. You can get it at any good hardware store. Years ago they set the cover on my motor cycle on fire and the chrome got burned pretty bad.(Somebodies ideal of a Haloween prank.) This Simichrome stuff got the burn marks off the chrome. Just have to rub the piece out real well and do it several times. I think that might just be the ticket to solve your problem. Good luck. Hope you find a solution. Nothing worse than having your pride and joy not the way you want it. Sparkling!!

Ragingbull . . .

A few points to amplify the excellent information already provided.

First, this is entirely normal and harmless. I have two Ruger KGP-141s (four-inch barrel GP-100s) and two Smith 657 Special Editions. They look just like yours.

Second, you said, "It looks as if the stainless steel finish was destroyed on this part of the revolver". That is factually untrue. Stainless steel is NOT a finish; rather, it is a metallic alloy that is homogeneous throughout. Without question, you have powder residue on the cylinder face, but the stainless steel is just as good as the day it was produced.

Back