Disclose to LEO

johnm1

We are on vacation traveling through several Western states (national parks). We researched all of the states and printed out the statutes and we are clear on the requirements for concealed carry. Except it is not apparent if you are required to notify LEO that we are carrying a concealed weapon in the following states:

Montana
Wyoming
Colorado

If you know the answer please chime in. A reference would be helpful. We are not required to notify in AZ and it is required in Utah.

Yellowstone is awesome.

Have it in your chest pocket and show it with your drivers license immediately. Its what I do and Ive never had a problem.

show it with your drivers license immediately

Not for me thanks! Maybe I should show him my NRA card too, just to prove I am a cool dude.

Only if I must.

Notification of LEO Wyoning, Montana, Colorado

Thanks Pete. That was one of the sites I used to do my initial research. Unfortunately neither the AG's/DPS websites say anything about notification for the states listed. I know it is not required in AZ and the AG website in utah covered the subject in FAQ. It is required in Utah. It is one of those things that I don't want to assume though it does not appear to be written into the law (which I have printed out)

I am hoping someone from Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado have some specific knowledge.

As much as I do not like that in some states one "must" show or produce your permit, it is a good idea to do so, up front. I drive a lot to the Rockies and west coast due to my job. The few times that I have been pulled over, after the Officer introduces himself, I interrupt and say "Officer, I have a valid CCW permit and I am armed. How would you like to proceed?" I have never had a problem with this approach.

Its like a Colorado Trooper told me during a conversation about this very subject. He said, "if I see yours, you will see mine".

johnm1 said:
and it is required in Utah.
Your source is outdated. That requirement has lapsed and has not been renewed. From the Utah BCI site:
If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession?

Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.

If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally and will take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is better to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html#2

The easiest all around solution is to just tell them, regardless of the law.

They don't care, really, they don't. They're not "Big Brother" invading your privacy, it's not a violation of any amendment to anything, it's called "common courtesy", maybe even "common sense". There is NO real downside, regardless of how many theoretical ones we can invent on the 'net, and there are PLENTY of real upsides, like putting the officer at ease, eliminating any chance of having it found, not ending up in jail, etc.

Back