Disassembly of S&W 686-4"

Waitone

I just want to remove the crane and cylinder from the frame, then separate the crane and cylinder. My reason is for ease of cleaning.

Any suggestions???

Gun empty.
Gun empty.
Cylinder latched closed.....find screwdriver that precisely fits screw foremost in sideplate on right side. Fits slot depth and width.
Remove that screw.
Carefully open cylinder, gently move it forward, will have to manouver it a little to clear everything, crane will go forward and come clear of frame.

Use left hand, thumb on back of cylinder (at star) and fingers on crane, to hold cylinder and crane assembly together untill clear of the gun.

Cylinder then slips off of crane assy to the rear.

Cylinder will be free to fall out as soon as it clears the little lump at the rear of the frame window so be carefull to not drop it.

If you don't have a quality screwdriver that FITS the screw, either reshape one or don't try removing the screw.

Enjoy.

Sam

Good directions, but permit me to add one note. I STRONGLY recommend NOT disassembling the cylinder or removing the extractor rod. It has left hand threads plus things can get out of whack pretty easily. You can clean all you need to with the previous instructions.

Jim

Thanks one and all.

I'm not interested in mechanical play time. I am willing to do the mechanical thing only to the extent that it allows me to routinely and reasonably clean my revolver. Removal of crane and cylinder will literally let get a better handle on the frame.

Back