Disassembly of Norinco .223 84S

sskraft

Inactive
I just came in posession of a Norinco 84S, the .223 version of the AK with under folding stock. Can someone please point me to the correct procedures for disassembly of this weapon, either a URL or a little personl knowledge. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

With muzzle in a safe direction and finger off trigger, remove magazine. Pull bolt handle back to ensure that firearm is unloaded. Remove receiver cover by depressing the latch in the rear. Lift receiver cover off. Remove recoil spring and recoil spring guide. Pull bolt carrier back and out of receiver. Separate bolt and bolt carrier. Push up on lever on side of rear sight base. Lift up gas tube. Disassembly is complete. Reassembly in reverse order.

My apologies for these sorry instructions but I'm doing this from my fading (geritol) memory. Someone else who is more articulate can help fill in the gaps (or direct you to an AK website which I know is out there somewhere).

A great book to have which is cheap at Barnes & Noble is, W.H.B. Smith's, "Small Arms of the World." If you can have no other books on firearms, it is the ONE book to have. It'll tell you how to assemble, disassemble (good photos) virtually all military firearms, explain how they work and give you some insights in the historical development of it. It's now in the 12th edition and unfortunately Dr. Ezell passed away before he could update it. I think it's going for under $20 (hardcover).

4v50

Those of you looking for this EXCELLENT book might try looking under the author Edward Ezell as well. My copy is from 1983 and is attributed to him, with the following on the third page:

A completely new and revised version of the classic work by W.H.B. Smith
12th Revised Edition

Every military firearm shooter or enthusiast should have this book, IMHO.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-15-98).]

Back