Disassembly 22 cal. Ruger LCR

The Rattler

A little over 2 years ago, I gave my wife a 22 LCR for home defense. Chose 22 Cal. because of arthritic hands.

I would like to remove the cylindar just for general cleaning purposes. My question is what tool is needed to accomplish that? I saw a YouTube video doing that for a 357 mag. LCR, but there was a screw to be removed just to the upper front of the trigger guard. On this 22, there is a small hole instead of a screw.

What tool is needed? Is it an Allen Wrench? If so, what size?

Do any of you know of a video showing how to do this? What about a web site showing step by step instructions? I haven't found any yet.

Removal of Cylander 22 LCR

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, there has been difficulty operating the Cylander Ejector. After firing a round of cartridges, it takes a very hard "strike" on the ejector rod to get the shell casings to even budge. Sometime, I have to use a hard object to hit it hard enough for the casings to to make the initial movement to eject. Once they budge, they eject easily.

My actual purpose is to remove the Cylander as a learning process. Then, consider disassembling the Cylander system to see if I could spot the problem & correct it. Failing that, give the cylander system a good cleaning & see if that helps.

Admittedly, I am relatively new to this type of thing, but I am eager to learn. It could be that this type of thing is over my head, but I figure that if I mess it up too bad, I can just put the parts in a sack & take them to my gunsmith.

All that being said, however, I am open to all advice, even don't try it.

are you using a 22 mag lcr with 22lr in it? that could cause bulges in the brass easily and result in the issues you are having. you can also look into polishing the chambers to reduce the friction of the rounds as they eject.

Ruger 22 LCR

I appreciate your reply.

No, I only use 22 long rifle cartridges. Does it take sophisticated equipment to polish the cylander chambers?

As above, if you fire any .22 LR ammo in a magnum cylinder, the shorter ammo will burn a ring where the brass ends, as do any revolver, such as firing .38 special cartridges in a .357 mag. When you use .22 mag ammo later, the brass expands into the ring, and makes it hard to extract. High Standard supplied two cylinders with their revolvers, and is why they had the name, double-nine convertible. The double-nine referred to the two nine shot cylinders.

I don't know if you fired any .22 lr in the gun, but it could be the cause, or else, dirt in the extractor assembly, which would require stripping the cylinder to clean it out.

Edit, I just saw your reply. If you're firing .22 lr only, then it wont be that causing the problem.

Disassembly LCR

This LCR was designed for 22 longs & that's all ever have shot in it. An earlier reply suggests polishing the cylander chambers. Another suggests that the cylander &/or ejection system may be dirty. As per my original post, I don't know how to remove the cylander to get to the cylander & ejection system. What is the first tool needed?

I very much appreciate the efforts to help me.

The Rattler,

Can you post a link to the video you watched? I can not find one, with full disassembly on YouTube. The cylinder with crane is removed by taking the torx screw from the bottom front of the frame.

There should be no reason to remove the cylinder (correct spelling) for cleaning. Just get the proper sized brass bore brush and scrub each chamber thoroughly.
If your chambers need polishing, send the gun to the factory. If you can't get the cylinder out, I doubt you could properly polish the chambers. It's highly unlikely this would be needed.
A "round" is one cartridge, BTW.

Back