Disappointed w/Fed. 158gr+P Nyclad

VictorLouis

Chrono'ed these out of a 442, and a M12, both with 2" barrels. Average velocity was under 700fps! I also had some CCI/Lawman 158gr+P TMJs. They broke into the low 800s, which is what I would expect for this weight in a +P format.

What gives? Is Federal scrimping on the powder, or just playing it safe? Without hitting bone, can one honestly expect ANY expansion from this Fed. load?

Not suprising. I finally found a test done on the 110 gr Hydrashocks I got for my new Taurus 85 marked with 1000 fps on the box. Only 800 fps from the test snub (a S&W of some type), and they didn't expand at all in the test medium. Penetrated 20", but kept their nice truncated cone. Strange, considering the 230 gr 45 ACP hydrashocks are highly recommended, and I don't they push much over 800 fps. I'm planning on filling some gallon milk jugs with shredded newspaper soaked in water and doing my own "test", but the hopes aren't good. Wish I had known this before getting the 38 snub (this WAS going to be my CCW, but it may wind up getting traded for a ported 44 spl snub if I can't find a round that I'm confident trusting my (and my wife's) a** to, if showing the BG the dangerous end of the revolver doesn't deter further aggression. How about glasers? The store I got the Hydrashocks from didn't carry them, but treated with a little extra primer sealant I'd at least trust them to end the hostilities.

That is about all you are going to get from a 2 inch .38. I have had good expansion with Remington 125 gr. JHPs and Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots, and Federal 125 gr. Nyclads in water. However, penetration is too shallow for me. Whinchester 158 gr. LHP +Ps do expand to about .40 cal from a 2 inch in water and provide great penetration. They achieve about 760 fps to around 830 fps from 2 inchers.

I used to use screamin hot 148gr in mod 36 2". Now use Cor-Bon 125+P defensive in mod 36 3". Much easier on the gun, easy on night vision and performance seems good.

Sam

well my snubbie load is the +P 158 grain Lead HP by Winchester or any of the othermajor makers. Evan Marshall's reseach has shown that they work. Also I worked a shooting were the victim was shot by just such a load. Went in thru the top of the shoulder blade and turned clipping the upper lobes of both lungs. Expanded nicely from what I could tell on the x rays in the ER. The guy survived but upon being shot immediately ceased all agressive action. That was from a snubbie alledgedly. never caught the shooter or recovered the gun.

I've tested the Corbon 110 gr. +P from a 2 inch and in water also. It expanded none whatsoever. In fact, the only deformation were the rifling marks. I don't know what velocity it achieves out of a 2 inch, but whatever it is, it isn't enough for such a strongly constructed bullet. Four inch, or .357 velocities may be a different matter.

Thanks Ells,
Now I feel sad and need a different load, I was using them for the velocity, I can't use lead in the 342, they unseat themselves under recoil.

Thanks for the info. :)

Mikey

WGB: I've always read that it was one of THE loads. I just figured that the Nyclad was the same flavor with the added benefit of no leading in the barrel. Now, I see this Win. load in the Midway catalog for $20 a box. I will buy one to try and chrono. My question is, do you feel that the bullets themselves will stand up to Speed Strip carry in the pocket? Consider,the spare change and occasional knife is bumping around in there too.(Yeah, yeah, I know.:))

I've carried them in Speed Strips for years. They hold up to pocket wear better than 125 gr. Nyclads, but not nearly as well as fully jacketed JHPs such as Golden Sabers or Gold Dots. The LHPs get dinged up quite a bit, but they still reamin functional for the most part.

I was surprised about 2" .357

We fired .38 ball and JHPs (125-130gr), also cheapo .357 Blazers (158gr JHP) from a SW640 and I was surprised. The velocity grain from the .357 was very noticable (as were the recoil and noise). I don't know if the .357 lived up to the advertised 1350fps or so but it was obviously better than the 38s.

Back