Disadvantages to a decocking lever?

DAL

Are there any disadvantages to a decocking lever? I have one, of course, on my Makarov, and I'm thinking of picking up a pistol next year with one, possibly a CZ-75BD. I haven't noticed any problem with my Makarov's DC lever, and I really like the convenience of the feature. I'd like, however, to get some more information from others before I make a final decision.

Thanks for any and all info.
DAL

Decocking lever

DAL, I see none and I like them. It allows you to chamber a round and safely drop the hammer. If you leave it down then the safety is on. I usually drop the hammer and return the lever to firing position then the gun is ready to go DA ;)
Just my thoughts ;)

Check out this site for some laid back gun chat ;)
http://pub33.ezboard.com/bfirearmsfriendsfamily

Looking, thinking, deliberating,... nope!
:p
I don't see any. Decockers are far more practical in my opinion. On the Ruger P-95, it springs back up into ready position automatically after being depressed. Very convenient.
Ben

The only disadvantage to the decocking lever that I can think of is that when I pulled the P95 out of the safe, and took it to the range after months of using the Glock operating system, I forgot to decock the weapon after chambering a round. It was a momentary lapse, I stood there looking at it for a few seconds trying to figure out what was wrong!!!:confused: That is why the Glocks have gone back into the safe, and I am carrying the P95. Training is everything!!!!!

The only disadvantage that I have heard is that one might, just, possibly, push too hard on the lever and decock one's weapon when the intention was just to take off the safety.

I have a USP that has the decocker, and I can't imagine it actually happening like that. You have to push very much further on the lever to drop the hammer.

yeah, there are downsides to everything, but I LOVE my decockers.

If the gun is safety down, fire up, then your gun is automatically put on safe when you decock. (Walther, S&W, Ruger) I HATE THAT!! :mad:

If your safety/decocker works the CORRECT way :) (HK, Taurus, most others) then the biggest problem is inadvertently pressing the decocker when trying to fire. It can happen on an HK if you use the "thumb on safety" method. If you hold down the safety lever down in the decock position, your HK will NOT fire :eek:

As for accidentally decocking your weapon when you only meant to remove it from safe, that's no biggie in my book, because it'll still fire!

Then again, if it's decocker only, I see no downsides at all!

Up = Safe Down = Fire More down = Decock :D
Up = Fire Down = Decock/Safe :mad:

DAL: Are you asking: 1) is there a disadvantage to a DA/SA with a decocking lever, versus a DA/SA without a decocking lever (e.g., Sig 239 versus CZ-75B)?

Or are you asking: 2) is there a disadvantage to DA/SA versus other action types.

I'm not sure just which question you were asking, so I'll answer both.

If your question is 1), no I don't see a disadvantage. If you are going to carry a DA/SA hammer down, then it's a whole lot safer having a decocking lever than thumbing down the hammer. If you thumb down the hammer enough times, you will screw up and slip.

On the other hand, if you are asking 2), then yes there are several disadvantages of DA/SA versus SA, DAO, or striker-fired. One of the bigger disadvantages is that there are two different trigger pulls you have to learn -- long and hard double action first shot, followed by short and light single action shots. In contrast, SA, DAO, and striker fired (e.g., Glock) actions all have a consistent trigger pull -- it's the same pull each time. It's easier to get two fast, accurate shots if the trigger pull is always the same. I'm not saying it can't be done -- it certainly can. But it takes quite a bit of practice to get there. Which action type is "better" is something of a religious issue. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

M1911

Mr.Onslaught downed Rugers for their decocker saying they go into "safe"mode when you press down the decocker...True,the oldies(my P89)were like that,but i have a P97(.45)and three newer P95's(.9mm)that do not go into safe mode when decocked.The decocker is spring operated which means once you use the decocker it automatically returns,and is ready for DA shot.No "safeties" on P97 or P95 pistols.

Get a CZ-75BD

On the CZ-75BD, you chamber a round. The hammer is back and the gun is ready to fire, single action.

You then decock the gun with the decocker (by pressing down). The hammer falls to half-cock reducing the double-action trigger pull to about 2/3 of its normal weight and length of pull.

The decocker springs back into position. The gun is ready to holster and carry. There is no manual safety. There is a firing pin block safety. To fire, simply draw and pull the trigger. Repeat as necessary.

Pointblank...

Ooops...

I get carried away trying to be "animated" sometimes, and it doesn't always come off as lighthearted as I mean it to!

I wasn't "downing" Ruger at all, any more than I was Walther (other manufacturer intentionally omitted :) ) in fact they are FINE pistols indeed! I just didn't like the way the safeties worked, as a personal opinion on things.

I'm very glad to hear that the newer ones don't do that, as it was the SOLE reason I purchased a Taurus PT100 as my first big bore handgun over the Ruger P89 way back when I was first old enough to do so. I really wanted another Ruger to go with my MKII and Mini-30!

Anyway, sorry if I ruffled any feathers... Peace :D

in DA/SA guns i much prefer a decocking lever only and no safety. i like the way Sig's decocking lever works. i have a Beretta 92FS and a 92G Elite. i like the Elite's safety better as well. i don't like having to think about whether the safety's on. i want to know the gun will fire after i chamber around. i mostly shoot glocks which have no safety or decocker and i prefer that format the best. it's the least to think about. i don't want to ever need a pistol for defense and the gun not fire because i forgot to take the safety off. decocking levers are also a lot safety to use than trying to manually decock a pistol; if your thumb slips you could accidentally fire the pistol but a decocking lever lowers the hammer safety.

Lowers the hammer safely time after time until . . .

. . . it wears out and breaks. Always point your gun in a safe direction. But you knew that ;)

Disadvantage to a decocking lever - yes

Yes there is a disadvantage to a decocking lever. You have to have the gun cocked and unlocked for some amount of time. That is a safety risk if you are in a less than perfect environment such as the confines of a vehicle. What if in the process of decocking while at home, your yapping little dog jumps into your arms? - accidental discharge that leads to an officer paying you a nasty visit? I prefer a safety that you can put on and completely keep a gun in a safe condition while chambering a round. Ironically, as I type this, my only auto is a 1911. Thus, I say what others have - the safety is primarily in correctly handling your gun.

This is my first post, if this was covered already I apologize. The main disadvantage to the decocker in a stressful situation is forgetting to use it and having a round up the pipe with the hammer back. This is an advantage in the Glock system no fumbling with a decocker just release the trigger.
I own Glocks, Sigs and 1911's and have always thought that the Glock may be safer in this regard.

Vinny

I love having a decocker on my Beretta Couger 8040. I just wish it was a decock only. I think that a 1911 and very few others need a manual safety. I found one disadvantage today. I have been carrying my Beretta for a good two months and decided to let the mag springs rest. Now, instead of rotating mags, I rotate my guns. I strapped on my 45 and after chambering a round, I tried so hard to push that safety down to decock it. Finally it clicked in my head and I just pushed it up and holstered it. Habits are hard to break. :)

Some dis's I can think of.......

More crap sticking out the side of the gun, depending on a mechanical device for safety, more parts to break, and just irritates me.

Back