Direct to rifle literature request

Renol

Inactive
I'm new to rifles in general, but I've always been fond of them. A while back I bought my first rifle Remington 783 in .30-06 to learn on. I know I know I should've gone with a 22 rim fire and then something in .223. Done is done.

Point is I understand how it works in terms of basic principle, but I want to know more about the mechanics of rifles in general and what features make the gun itself accurate.

No this isn't a "how do I make a gun accurate" thread, but a request for direction. Does anyone know any good books or resources from experts that discuss modern rifles (both bolt and semi) and what mechanically makes them operate well or not so well. My end goal is to be able to pick up any rifle and know if the gun itself is in good operating condition and what features it has or doesn't have that are a part of it's construction.

For example I've heard terms of bedding, free floating barrels, barrel nuts, rifling spin etc. I kinda know a little bit about those just from having researched the 783, but its scratch the surface type stuff not diving into the deep end like I want.

I like to know the whys basically. I know my gun has a barrel nut and free floating barrel but I have no idea why those are desirable (or not). I'd prefer to not remain ignorant.

TLDR

Point me to solid reading on modern rifles and features of that can fill me with knowledge and make me less of an ignorant idiot.

Many thanks in advance.

If there are any gun sdhows nearby, you might look for older editions of "Gun Digest."

And if you can find a copy, P.O. Ackley's two volume set "Handbook for Shooters and reloaders."

A little dated, and hard to find, but a wealth of information.

Doubtful about shows nearby, but I'll keep a weather eye out.

Funny thing is I'd like to get into reloading seeing as how hand loads are the way to go for accuracy so your suggestion is quite appropriate.

Some of the buying/selling books (Bluebook for guns) have things to watch out for on certain makes/models.
Learned a fair bit from them in checking over used 1911's and revolvers.

I don't have any books to recommend as what I know (or my opinion has been formed by) is a wide variety of reading and incorporation of that into my own take.

Interesting when you get down to it, not two bench rest shooters agree on much of anything other than barrel, receiver, trigger, stocks and sights have to be good.

After than its the shooter.

While some will disagree, if you want an accurate Target rifle, its a whole different ball game than a decent hunting rifle. I hunted with a rifle that was 1.5 inch (1.5 MOA) at 100.

the only time I let it down was not trusting my sight setup. I still came withing about 1/128th of an inch at the gun of a clean take down.

Target rifles are all about barrels, stocks and triggers.

Any bad factor in one can totally wipe out the others.

No, a 30-06 is not a good starter target rifle though I did build one up off a Savage action, love the cartridge and shooting it, yes its odd but no one to keep happy but myself in that regard.

What you 783 has going for it is the ability to put a target barrel on it without a gun smith cost (there is some tool costs, maybe $100 at low end).

If you go that route I suggest Shillen or Criterion as solid proven mfgs. Lots of others out there, but they do it all and they stand behind what they put out (my 06 is a Shilen.)

Boyds makes great fitting low cost stocks. I went with their Laminated line and they have some great wood looking and finish and at least in Savage fit is perfect. Don't need to be bedded.

So its kind of what you are after and you can focus from there.

RC20 thank you for the information regarding the 783. I will eventually look into those upgrades, but for now I wouldn't waste my money since the rifle is not the limiting factor for my shooting.

That being said, the information you provided has in a sense provided me a fish, but has not taught me to fish. You've provided me with a part list, but I am still clueless as to how those particular parts improve things - I don't know the basics which is what I want to understand. That's why I said this isn't a build thread, nor am I demanding to be spoon fed knowledge per se, just requesting direction.

Again, thank you for the information as I had no knowledge of barrel manufacturers before. All I have done so far is purchase a bipod and cheekrest to steady my shooting and become more consistent.

Do you belong to a club? If not, find one and join. It's amazing how much information, (and, unfortunately disinformation) you can pick up around the club house coffee pot.

Also, check the NRA website and look for clubs in your area.

Your state "Rifle and Pistol Association" will have programs and possibly classes for beginners.

'The Accurate Rifle' by Warren Page. Starts at $10 on Amazon. ISBN-10: 1886681066
And/or.
'The Hunting Rifle' by Jack O'Connor. Starts at $15.95 on Amazon. ISBN-10: 088317054X
Your local public library is likely full of firearms books too. The NRA has published several 'Gunsmithing Guides' and 'Firearms Assembly guides' that are worth reading too. The 'Compiled from American Rifleman' one starts at $8. Also on Amazon. Amazon being your friend. Books in general have gotten horrendously expensive.
Like Ben says, join a club. Lots of info and doors open that you don't know are there.
"...take Cooper with a grain of salt..." A big one.
"...rifling spin..." Twist, not spin. Means how many times a bullet makes one complete revolution over how many inches. It's about how the bullet gets stabilized.

Sadly I don't belong to any clubs. I'll try looking around, but the few gun ranges Chicago permits to exist are tailored to hand guns so I'm not going to hold my breath. I would kill for some hands on guidance. Being self taught in so many things gets old fast.

T.o - I'll see if I can't find some of those resources in the library. I'll be chewing on the others for a bit once I get my hands on them.

Back