Dipper clean up

stubbicatt

Guys, I have a RCBS dipper which I pour my big'uns with. I like it quite a bit, it holds a lot of melt and just feels good in use. So I've been using it over the last 20+ years. A lot.

It is nasty with black stuff on it that has accumulated over the years. I'd like to clean it up and get it back to natural iron without all the deposits. I've tried a steel tooth brush, no dice. It just isn't coming clean. Maybe an electric drill with a steel brush?

I wonder if any of you has had a similar problem and found a good way to clean it up? I could just buy a new one I suppose, but I'd like to see if I can get this one clean.

Thanks in advance.

I picked up a couple of small used ones that were pretty junky looking. I took them to work and tossed them in the bead blaster with some fine grit Black Beauty and pulled them back down to bare iron. They looked like new in fact. In this condition however they are like a new cast iron skillet and will take on surface rust REAL quick if you don't apply something to them. I used some Kroil on a rag and wiped them down with a good coat. The one I have used smoked a bit when I first used it, and I eased it in the pot very slow to start with to avoid anything resembling the tinsel fairy.

After the second time of use I just put it away till next time. So far so good.

OOOoooh! Tinsel! Nothing like a face full of 750 degree lead to get your attention.

I don't have access to a bead blaster. So, I guess I see another purchase in my near future. That or try my never used Lyman dipper. It might actually be better. Just the capacity is much less.

I use an electric drill with a wire brush. (no bead blaster here either).
Just be sure you don't breathe the dust you create when buffing it with the wire brush. I can only do the outside though, due to the shape of the brush. I just have to gouge and chisel the inside back down to an acceptable condition with a screwdriver and mallet, and keep on pourin'.:)

Beauty is as beauty does.

Next time you cast:
- Drop your usual chunk of flux (I use a piece of 50/50 bullet lube) into your pot;
- "Glop-stir" the dipper down into the molten lead repeatedly until everything quits smoking;
- Pull the dipper out and bang it moderately against any hard surface/wood to shake the crud off & out of it/set it aside;
- Skim the crud off the lead;
- Start pouring...

anything beyond that is vanity.... ;)

Pail of water, steel rod, washing soda (Walmart) and a battery charger.

Water in pail to cover dipper.
2 tablespoons washing soda.
Connect charger negative to dipper.
Connect charger positive to rod.

Sit back and watch it sizzle...really cool to see.
This is not hear-say, I use this method for many objects (metal).

I'd like to clean it up and get it back to natural iron...
Re: RCBS lead bullet dipper. I have an RCBS dipper and I could have sworn it was Aluminum, not Ferrous (Iron, Steel, etc.) metal.

Back