Dillon RL1100 & Super 1050 Setup ?

atraf24

Inactive
Newbie looking for some direction. Considering the >20 week backorder - I really need to order the right items the first round.

Intended setup: RL1100, setup with a bullet feeder and powder check, and I was going to order the Dillon carbides. Dedicated heads set for 9, 45, 223 - each with their own drop and powder check, and I want to load all with the bullet feeder and powder check.

My question is on the dies and if the dillon carbide 3 die set is what I need - or if I need a different final seat/crimp (or totally different dies period).

Station 1 - Case load
Station 2 - Decap
Station 3 - Expander
Station 4 - Priming
Station 5 - Powder
Station 6 - Powder check
Station 7 - Bullet feeder
Station 8 - Seat & crimp have to be the same die in the final station / 8 correct?

Will the dillon carbide 3 die set in each of the calibers I am doing work in this manner?

Do I need a different die set or last station seat & crimp die?

THANKS!!!

Hi. 20 weeks will give you the time to find, buy and read The ABC's of Reloading. About $30 on Amazon or your local gun shop. Finding shouldn't be too difficult though.
Keeping in mind that Dillon kit is way out of my price range. I think the Dillon manual is on line for free. Read that too.
Remember that Dillon's warrantee, customer service and tech support is right up there with RCBS. They'll fix any issues and help you with a phone call. Dunno if their warrantee applies to used Dillon kit the way RCBS' does.
Don't hesitate to ask questions here either. Pretty friendly and knowledgeable bunch. We argue like family. snicker.
The only need for expensive Dillon carbide dies is for the .223. Not many other places even make carbide bottle necked rifle dies. I don't think any other company makes 'em.
You should be expanding and decapping with the same die. Pistol case like the 9mm and .45 also get flared on the case mouth. Vs chamfering the case mouth of a bottle necked rifle case. Dunno how the Dillon kits do that.

Atraf24,

Welcome to the forum.

Your die station action description is off. Seating and crimping are at two different stations. Read the 1100 manual. Section 7 says:

Station I—Casefeed Adjustment
Station 2—Case Depriming and Sizing
Station 3—Primer Pocket Swaging and Case Neck Expanding
Station 4—Primer Feeding and Seating
Station 5—Powder Dispensing and Case Belling
Station 6—Optional Dillon Powder Check
Station 7—Bullet Seating
Station 8—Bullet Crimping

Regarding dies, while there is a Dillon carbide .223 die, be aware that, unlike a carbide pistol die which needs no lube because its sizing ring has only a small total contact area with the case at any given point in the sizing stroke, this die has the full contour of the case in it (I own one) and so it requires full case lubrication or you will stick a case in it. I actually stuck a case in mine despite lube, so the lube requirement is no joke. That's also because the die is tight, like most Dillon dies, to ensure uninterrupted progressive loading, even when resizing surplus once-fired brass. Its advantages over a steel 223 die are long-term wear for commercial-quantity reloading and smoother surface appearance of the resized brass. I got mine and the .308 version by lucky accident of being in the right place at the right time, but often don't use them because they work the brass more than I like for long case life and also because I use a two-stage rifle sizing sequence for top accuracy these days anyway. Unless you have a special reason for it, I recommend steel dies for .223 as you will have to lube the cases anyway.

Back