Dillon 550 , 650, square deal? which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

45acp

I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE RELOADING SECTION. BUT, THERE IS MORE TRAFFIC HERE. I RELOAD HANDGUN CALIBERS ONLY AND SHOOT ABOUT 150-200 ROUNDS A WEEK. CAN YOU GUYS SUGGEST ONE OF THESES PRESSES. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE SQUARE DEAL IS A REAL HASSLE TO CHANGE PRIMER SIZES. WHY DOES THE 550 NOT HAVE AUTO INDEX, IS THAT A PAIN? THANKS...

The 550 is probably the best all around choice. the 650 is designed for the high volume reloader who shoots mostly one caliber.To take advantage of its capabilities you would need to buy the options that are available for it. Changing calibers is not nearly as easy as with the 550. The Square Deal is a good press for the money but not as versatile as the 550. the loading area is smaller. I don't know about changing primers on it.It's not a big deal on the 550 once you get used to doing it. Best bet is to eventually have two presses set up- one for large primers and one for small. I have both a 550 and a Square Deal. I think the auto index is a good feature and maybe makes the machine a little safer but I can probably load just as fast on the 550. If I was going to have to make a choice between the two I would go with the 550.

I have loaded on a square deal, then a 650, and now I recently sold my 650 and am waiting with baited breath for my 1050!!! The primer system on the square deal is easier to switch than on the 650. You loosen a couple of screws and slide the primer bar out, pull the spring off,and slide the other primer bar on and change the primer size tube(sm, LG). On the 650 you have to loosen two screws, pull the priming unit off after you take the case holder off, and then change the rotating primer holder, oh wait, be careful, dont loose the ball bearing or spring, buy a spare parts kit, or better yet buy a another primer system, cheap for the headache. I like them both, and since I am going to have a 1050 I am thinking of buying a square deal to work up new loads on before dialing them into the 1050. Go Dillon, you will not regret it. Any one will work for you. DC

------------------
Front sight good, Front sight good....

For the amount of rounds you say you want to put downrange, I suggest the Squaredeal B. I have one and reload both 40 cal and 45ACP. Not all that complicated once you get used to it. Dillon is a great company to do business with, if you didn't know that already.

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

I too, have a Square Deal. I moan when I change calibers and/or primer size, but it's just because I have become lazy. It takes about 5 minutes to change calibers and about 3 more to change primer size. As I said, I'm just getting too lazy!
If you are only loading handgun calibers and less than 500 rounds per week, you would get good service from a Square Deal. If I was starting over, I would probably get a 550.

Neil Casper

45acp,

You're right, and it won't get any if folks post to elsewhere instead. Also, it makes using the search engine more difficult and time consuming if info isn't somewhat categorized. Consequently, I'm moving your thread there. Hopefully, you and subsequent posters will follow! Unfortunately, I just didn't catch your post in time before others responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back