Different Weight Defensive Bulllets RE-Visit

unclejack37

This is strictly defensive bullets for your EDC and caliber doesn't matter for this discussion. I mentioned earlier that I alternate different weight bullets in my 9mm EDC. For the moment, forget that one of them is a fragmenting bullet but one is 90 grains and the other is 147 grains. A lot of people using 9mm seem to prefer either a light and fast, 115 gr. +P+ JHP bullet or a heavy slow 147 gr. JHP bullet, but no one ever mentioned using both for defensive purposes in our EDC. The same can be said for larger caliber guns, lite and fast versus slow and heavy.

Keep in mind that the most likely scenario will occur within 21 feet and at night. More likely you will be point shooting and not using a site picture in order to stop the threat. The slow heavy bullet will make larger holes because there's more mass to mushroom, but a lite fast bullet will cause deeper terminal damage and is more likely to hit vital organs. As far as I'm concerned, one shot stops happen in movies only and follow up shots are necessary to stop a threat with a hand gun.

So what do you think, good idea or bad idea to alternate different weight bullets in your EDC and why.

My EDC is the much maligned .380(Glock 42 and Ruger LCP), with occasional CC of a Glock 19. JHP performance can 'suffer' with a shorter barrel and/or shooting through a lot of clothes/leather/denim, etc. . After watching a LOT of you tube vids(and taking some with a grain of salt), I carry the Lehigh/Underwood/BlackHills Xtreme Defender in all 3 handguns.

I considered the ARX/Ruger ammo but saw a few tests that had the bullet shatter with very little penetration as it hit something hard first, like a bone.

So Xtreme Defender for me..

I think I see your point differently....

IMO, heavy bullets have more base and mass after expansion which aids penetration.

Light bullets often expand better, but lack enough penetration.

Obviously bullet design can enhance either, but not both. The key is using the velocity you have to achieve max expansion for a given penetration requirement. This really needs to occur in one bullet.

I can see adding a FMJ every 3 for guaranteed bullet exit, but how do I know what will be behind the target on shot #3 or Will shot 3 maybe be a first com shot on a next bg. This is why I prefer 1 balanced performance mid to heavy weight bullet.

Also, for me, I find myself loading and unloading ammo a lot. I don’t think I could keep track.

I don't do it. I carry JHPs proven to be functionally reliable, that shoot near point of aim. I have some favorites, especially in 9mm, that meet these criteria. Like Nathan, I think I'd loose track of of what weight/type of round was loaded where in the magazine.......ymmv

Back