different positions=different point of impact?

SharpCdn

Hello all, I just came back from the range after shooting my 6" 586, and trying to zero with a new load I was trying out. (148gr BBWC with 2.5gr Clays - very clean by the way)

I zeroed the gun while resting the gun, and in single action (point of aim=point of impact @25m)and I got it right on, I mean it was perfect. Then I started to shoot in my unsupported stance still slow and deliberate, but in double action and my bullets were landing to the LEFT of the target.

Then at closer range (15 to 25 feet), while shooting from the holster at IPSC targets my rounds were consistently landing to the RIGHT on the target.

I have done this several times, and I expended several hundred rounds today, and the results were always the same. I paid very much attention to my grip and trigger control but always had the same results. To the point that in the different positions I am aiming off appropriately and getting better results. My concentration level was very good today, and the load is very mild, so I don't think that flinching could be a factor.

Do you think it is a poor practice to aim off for different types of firing? Have any of you had similar experiences with revolvers? Or do I have some serious flaws with my trigger manipulation, or something else?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

[This message has been edited by SharpCdn (edited January 03, 2000).]

You are probably doing nothing wrong. Any handgun will change its point of impact with a change of grip, rest, etc. I have seen many shooters "zero" a gun while resting the barrel on a block or sandbag, and then find out that a one-hand hold gives an entirely different point of impact, a two-hand hold yet another.

As best you can, zero the gun with the hold you would normally use.

Jim

Jim Keenan is correct. I always sight in off hand and not from a bench. I also shoot double action only revolvers, including from the 50 yard line.

The only real shift in point of impact that I never have quite gotten over is shooting high from prone at 50 yards. I compensate by holding a little bit low.

As far as shooting left or right, the point shifts a bit when I shoot with the weak hand, but not enough to worry about.

Unless you are committing some major sin in your technique, don't sweat it. But to be sure, have a shooting buddy watch you while you shoot. Good luck and it is great to find another wheel gunner...

Back