Differences/things I should know about Ruger Mk1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Sorry, I tried to search for old ones first but if you search "MkI" the UBB search finds everything that contains it--meaning all you get is threads about MkII's!

I just ordered a used MkI with a 5.5" bull barrel, trigger reduced to 3 lbs, and spare mags. I'm just wondering what the differences from a MkII are, since I've fired II's but not I's. Thanks!

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I own a MK1 bull barrel. I was suprised to read that you ordered a MK1. I did not know they are still being made. I have looked at the MK2's several times as compared to my MK1, so here is the differences in my mind.

1) the MK2 slide has a lock back lever the MK1's lack.
2) the triggers of the MK2's seem heavier then the MK1's

Beyond that they seem the same to me. Personally I will stay with my MK1. It has been a good pistol and has a lot of good memories.

pete

COOL! Glad you like yours. The trigger on this one ought to be sweet at 3 lbs. Actually, this one's used as per the post above. AFAIK they DON'T make 'em anymore, they're not on Ruger's website, but there's another one on GunsAmerica.com right now. Not nearly as nice as this one, though.
Right now I'm just proud of myself for overcoming my inherent uber-machismo and gadget fascination to get something simple and easy to shoot that my fiancee will love.
BTW, the other one listed is supposed to have "the thin barrel." Think that means a normal tapered barrel, or something different?

------------------
Don

It's my understanding that the bolt on the Mk II stays open after the last shot is fired. The Mk I does not do this.

Congrats on a fine choice Gwinny. I've got a MKI & a MKII and both are fine pistols. The MKI does not have the bolt release which really matters very little to me as you can keep the bolt open by putting the safety on while the bolt is back.
So far the only difficulty I've had with the MKI is finding aftermarket grips for it, They'll tell you there is no difference but the MKI grips don't have a cut out for the bolt release. I finally located a Pachmayr grip for mine at an internet auction as old stock from a gunshop in PA.
My MKI does not keep the bolt open after the last round, but I don't know if this is standard for the MKI or just a glitch with mine. My pistols both have the tapered barrels, and both shoot great. You have made a very good purchase and you'll now have a pistol that can be handed down to your grandkids as long as the Govt. doesn't get it first.

------------------
TJS

[This message has been edited by Tim Schlosser (edited October 17, 1999).]

RUGER MKI or MKII you cannot go wrong. This pistol is definately one of the funnest to own and shoot. I have had HOURS of fun with this firearm. AMMO is really cheap!!! The gun is pleasent to shoot, ultra accurate, definetly a must for the pistolero...

------------------
SURE SHOT

The grips don't worry me too much--I just got a couple of pieces of carbon fiber delivered Friday. They were going to become knife scales but we shall see . . .
:)

Man, now I'm like a dog going hunting--I can't wait till that thing gets here!!

------------------
Don

I have a MK 1 bull barrel w/Herret's thumb rest grips. Beautiful gun. Has 2 lb. trigger right out of the box. Bought it back when the list price was $67.50. Best Ruger .22 I've owned and I've owned several.

Minor differences: On the Mark II: bolt hold-open on last round, scallops next to bolt ears on the receiver tube, a different way of holding in the trigger pin; different trigger backlash adjustment. The major differences you will find, that 'skinny barrel' model is probably a T678, a sort-of-tapered-bull-barrel that's 6-7/8ths ins. long. Mark II's are all straight-pipe bull barrels I believe. I have two Mark I's, a 1969 and a 1976. One is a 5-1/2" bull like yours is going to be, the other the tapered T678. They shoot, balance and feel the same to me...there may be a slight advantage in velocity and accuracy to the 678. You can find out the year your gun was mfg. on Ruger's web page: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/prdctyr/prdctyr.html

------------------
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

[This message has been edited by slabsides (edited October 18, 1999).]

Methinks this gun will just have to get cooler--I finally got to the mailroom and picked up my carbon fiber--two beautiful scales. I've been looking at Rugers and it looks like the grips are very thick but narrow--this carbon fiber is no more than 1/8th or maybe 5/32nds and the pieces look wide enough to "cover" the handle frame front to back. Picture a Ruger Mk1 with polished carbon fiber grips that taper down to the front and back to fit flush and create an almost-oval cross-section and thinner handle--I can't wait!!

------------------
Don

Gwinnydapooh,

What was your source for the carbon fiber scales? I might like to try some for a project piece.

------------------
Go NRA

I got 'em from a friend on http://Bladeforums.com . Unfortunately I got his last two pieces, but there's another guy I can put you in touch with who told me he could make me a good deal on some (AFTER I'd already made a deal, of course. :) )
Check your email for contact info for my friend, or you can go to Bladeforums yourself and ask on the Bladesmith or For Sale forums--you'll probably get several hits that way. Good luck!

------------------
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back