Differences in grip

bspillman

Hey folks I was wondering should the technique I use to grip my semi auto guns differ from my revolvers. I use the thumbs pointing forward style grip and I just can't seem to shoot my revolvers accurately. I know that there is a difference in the trigger but I have a Berretta DAO that I shoot well and a Kel Tec P11. But my rrecvers not so much. So should I grip my revolvers differently than my semi autos? Pics of grip technique would help. Thanks.

I don't have a photo for you ...but in general, yes your thumbs should not point so much at the target like you would with a 1911 semi-auto ( call it
3 O'clock with your thumbs on the semi-auto )...on a revolver you may want them wrapped one over the other and lower ( call it 4'Oclock or 5'Oclock on a revolver) - but in general lower is the norm even if your thumbs are together or overlapped.

But everybody is a little different on revolvers....depending on what kinds of grips or stocks you have on them - and the size of the frame ( although I try to keep my grip the same on all of my K, L and N frame S&W's...)...and the size of your hands...

Brian Enos's book Practical Shooting - Beyond Fundamentals - has a good section / toward the back of the book - on how to best grip and fire a revolver ( which is what I'm trying to describe above) - but his book says it much better.

A copy of that book is a good addition to a shooter's library in my view.
--------
I just found this video online where Jerry Miculek discusses his grip and how he shoots revolvers....and good info on how he wraps his thumbs ( and keeps his fingers away from the cylinder gap...)...or changes his grip a little on some revolvers with different stocks on them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8

Last edited:
I always get flamed by people who don't read my message in it's entirety, but for non-magnum revolver cartridges fired from a standard revolver, a thumbs-forward grip works fine. It's the grip I generally use, and my thumb is still intact, and not even dirty (see pic), since the gasses from the cylinder gap don't reach that far (see 2nd & 3rd pics).

If you're going to shoot magnums (and/or a small J-frame), though, you'd want to cross your thumbs and point them down to protect them from hot gasses from the cylinder gap (see pic of JM's grip in link). If you shoot both (magnums and non-magnums), and think you'll have a hard time remembering to adjust your grip, it'd be a good idea to use the "magnum" grip as your default.

BTW, note JM's advice in that link to use a high grip. And note the high grip in all these pics.

Thumbs-forward grip with standard pressure ammo (note the clean undamaged thumb):
TomIDPA2012Worlds.jpg

Hot gasses from cylinder gap when shooting standard pressure ammo (exhibit A):
IDPAindoorNats2012.jpg

Hot gasses from cylinder gap when shooting standard pressure ammo (exhibit B):
idpa_in_11_0341.jpg

Thumbs crossed & down grip:
http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

I use the "thumbs crossed and down" grip as described above. This link has a photo with the caption "This is the proper revolver grip above" that shows the thumb position:

http://www.friedmanhandguntraining.com/grip.html

I shoot a GP100 and I do shoot Magnum loads. The pad of my support hand winds up pressed down over the thumbnail of my shooting hand. The thumb remain well away from the barrel/cylinder gap. I believe that this is the grip that Grant Cunningham also recommends.

The only disadvantage I find with this grip is a tendency of my support hand thumb interfering just a little with the tip of my trigger finger since I have moderately large hands and I use the "power crease" of the first joint of my trigger finger on the trigger for DA shooting (which is usually what I do). A little adjustment of thumb position takes care of this, however.

I was interested to read that MrBorland suggests using the thumbs forward grip for both pistol and non-Magnum revolver shooting. If you look at the link I cited, that particular instructor suggests using the thumbs crossed and down revolver grip for both pistol and revolver shooting to maintain consistency. I guess it just depends what works for you.

I am inconsistent. I use the thumbs forward grip for pistol shooting. With both thumbs aligned straight toward the target and the support wrist locked in a forward and down position I am able to better control muzzle flip and more quickly realign the pistol on target.

pblanc said:
I guess it just depends what works for you.

This.

Inconsistency is ok if you're consistent about it. ;) IOW, if you use a thumbs-forward grip for everything except magnum-powered revolvers, and can consistently remember to move your thumbs when shooting magnum-powered revolvers, fine. If you use one grip for revolvers and another for semi-autos, fine as well. The best grip is the one which works for you (and allows the muzzle to come back to its starting position on its own).

My only beef is with those that dogmatically proclaim all revolvers shooting all ammo must be shot with a thumbs-down grip, and anything else is always wrong and will result in immediate and ugly damage to your thumb. There are a lot of really good wheelgunners that would argue otherwise and have the thumbs (and trophies) to prove it. ;)

pblanc said:
With both thumbs aligned straight toward the target and the support wrist locked in a forward and down position I am able to better control muzzle flip and more quickly realign the pistol on target.

Works the same way for revolvers. ;)

The size of the frame, shape of the grip area, length of the cylinder and hand size and shape definitely has something to do with the choice of grip.

Gripping a revolver vs a pistol is going to be different due to the totally different shape of the frame. Doesn't really matter where your thumb is. Provided you're not sitting on it. snicker.

Back