Differences in Culture

Old Bill Dibble

In the military I lived in a lot of different places. My current environs there is a very high level gun culture. Here is a commercial that is played regularly on the local TV Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlyzxKdwZno

I was wondering how this would be received in your area and if you had similar examples.

(I understand the spammy nature of the TV commercial and am completely unaffiliated with the company. If the topic is unsuitable please delete)

Anyplace not locked into the "guns are evil" mentality wouldn't give the ad a second thought. Owning guns and shooting is just a routine part of daily life.

I live in Arkansas and nobody gets excited at the sight of a gun. I have seen people strolling around with pistols on their hips and nobody even notices much and those who do don't care.

I would love it! About 80% of the people between me and Philadelphia would have just dropped dead and I could load up on somma dat huntin' n fishin' land!

Non issue Id say in pretty much any part of the country with the exception of the liberal sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I smile thinking about how that ad would go over in the place where I was born and raised, Brooklyn, NY. Forty years ago it would not have been noticed, even in NYC where high school students on school rifle teams carried their 22LR rifles on buses and subway trains and no one said a word. But today, people would go ballistic, which is what makes me smile!

Hard to imagine anyone, anywhere, getting excited over that commercial.
Even in the most anti-gun areas, shotguns are considered more of a sporting tool than a weapon.
NY and NJ have lots of clay bird clubs.
Now, if it showed a three gun match.......

OBD, that would play well here in Southern Illinois. Drive north a couple of hundred miles to the Chicagoland area, and not so much. You are absolutely right that there is a real cultural divide in this country. It goes beyond guns and agriculture, or even politics though. It is a fundamental difference in who we are as a people, in my opinion.

Hard to imagine anyone, anywhere, getting excited over that commercial.

Yes, I agree lot's of guns on TV and the commercial isn't overtly pro-gun, so doubt most folks would pay much attention to a hunting scene.

Here in Western NY I would think it would be considered positive by some and most others would have no opinion. I'm in the Buffalo suburbs and surprisingly I don't hear much anti-gun talk. You'd think being near the 2nd largest city in politically blue NY (caused by NYC) the area would lean towards stricter laws, but I've always got the impression that outside of downtown the whole area is slightly pro-gun and inside of downtown people don't really care about the gun laws.

It would be just fine here in Kentucky. I'm blessed to live in a very pro-2nd Amendment state. While there are of course the usual groups of anti-gun idiots, most people here have grown up around firearms and deeply respect the right to bear arms for defense and obviously hunting which is big here.

"...Hard to imagine anyone, anywhere, getting excited over that commercial..." FARM CREDIT????? Are you mad????? It's not a firearm/hunting ad. It's capitalist advertising about providing money to wealthy landowners. snicker.

Considering that one of our local auto dealers has an annual 'buy a truck get a gun' sales promotion just before hunting season I suspect no one in Idaho would blink other than for regional accent of the speakers.

"...on my own land."

The shotgun guy closed any questions anyone should have about the commercial when he said;

"I'm finally huntin' and fishin' on my own land!" He was smilin' when he said that; must've got his bird... on his own land.

No problems here in Wyoming as far as I know. It's rather sad to think that squeaky clean commercial would offend anyone, anywhere, in the U.S.A. Sad indeed.

GET OUT AND VOTE TODAY.

Well I live just outside Seattle so yeah, people would loose their minds. A friend and I were accosted while coyote hunting because the idiot on the bike KNEW it wasnt deer season. I cant wait to move....

Back