Differences Between 590 and 590A1

MightyQuinn

Inactive
What are the differences between the 590 Special Purpose (w. Spped Feed,, Ghost Ring sights) and the 590A1?

The dealer couldn't find the A1 in his database, but the 590 Special Purpose seemed pretty much the same as the A1 I'd seen at another time, in another place...what, precisely, are the differences? (BTW, the Special Purpose I ordered does not have the heat shield. Neither, though, did the A1 I looked at.)

John

The Mossberg 590A1 came standard with parkerized finish, ghost ring rear sight, synthetic stock & forend and ramp front sight. I show the 590A1 last produced in 1997. Mossberg has since incorporated these features, standard or optional, on the 590 Special Purpose. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

A1 - Thicker barrel, metal trigger housing, metal safety button.

The metal trigger housing is a big plus. My regular 590 is currenly out of action due to a kaput plastic trigger assembly.

Your dealer won't find the 590A1 listed. But He will find a 590 model that has all the 590A1 features. Have hime look for the model with the accessory lug, metal trigger group, metal safety, heavy-walled barrel and ghost ring sights. Don't be fooled by the 590 with the accessory lug and heat shield. It's not the 590A1. I bought it thinking it was the A1 and can kick myself for not researching more. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great shotgun, but as soon as the Benelli M4 comes out, the 590 is trading places. Hope this helps.

Thanks, everyone, for the help with this. I'll give the dealer a call today. With the 10-day waiting period here in CA, I doubt that having to re-order will affect when I get the gun anyway (and I AM antsy to get it!).

John

<<Don't be fooled by the 590 with the accessory lug and heat shield. It's not the 590A1. I bought it thinking it was the A1 and can kick myself for not researching more. >>

I did, in fact, call the dealer. He said that I had ordered the all metal model, with the heavy barrel. The only choices I had (looking in the Mossberg catalogue) were the 590 SP with heat shield and no sites, and the one without the heat shield, and Ghost Ring sites. I ordered the one with sites.

Does it have the bayonet lug? I dunno. we'll see.

Back