Difference in MarkI & MarkII

joebogey

Can someone explain the difference between the MarkI and the MarkII.(Besides the fact that one came before the other. :rolleyes: ) How are they alike?
Thanks,
joebogey

Mark I and Mark II what? If the Ruger .22 auto, the Mark I was the target version of the Standard Model. The Mark II designation includes all versions and has the separate bolt stop and "winged" bolt for easier cocking.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
Yes I was talking about the Ruger. Someone told me that they thought that the Mark I did not lock open on the last round whereas the Mark II would and also that the grips would not interchange. Would you know if that is true?

The grips will not interchange because the MKI doesnt have the slide release on it. There is a pin that will back out on a MKI if you use the MKII grips. A MKI will not lock back on the last shot but you can hold it open using the safety. Some people think the MKI's are more accurate but that is open to debate. My MKI is 20 years old with thousands of rounds through it and its still going strong. It's not the prettiest thing in the world anymore but it will still outshoot a S&W 422 target any day of the week.

Thanks Gopher,
I had the chance to buy a MarkI at what I thought was a pretty reasonable price , but I passed on it because I wasn't sure what I was getting. May have to contact the owner and see if it's still available.

I love my MkI. They do have the "winged" bolt, by the way, they just don't have the "scallops" or indentations in the back end of the receiver that make the "wings" stick out a bit more on a MkII. Either one is a great gun.

I had owned my MkI for several weeks before I discovered that the safety would hold the bolt open. I was quite excited. My wife (fiancee back then) was less than impressed. :D

Back