Difference between...

vega

Sorry for my ignorance guys... but what's the diffrence between centerfire and rimfire rifles. I plan to get a rifle on my next purchase and as allowed by law here in my area I could only acquire 22 LR. Should I get a 22" or 18" barrel? A bolt action or semi-auto? Which manufacturer should I choose? Is 18" barrel good for hunting (small games)?

Thanks,

vega

Vega, center or rim fire simply refers to the type of cartridge that is used. The rim fire has no real primer which is incorporated in the cartridge case itself. It is "ignited" by the firing pin striking the "rim" of the cartridge. The only modern example of rim fires, which are limited in their inherent power, is the .22 in either short, long or long rifle. In times past there were several rim fire calibers including the .41 and .32 to name two.
Center fire cartridges are ignited by the firing pin striking a primer located in the center of the case. These primers, with a few exceptions, may be removed once fired (spent) and replaced for reloading. Center fire cartridges by design can be and are more powerful.
I'll let someone else field the question as to which you should choose and only say your choices are many and largely a matter of personal taste.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Vega - Gunslinger did a good job of explaining the cartridge differences.

As for action differences, the semi-auto will allow rapid follow-up shots, and the bolt action SHOULD be inherently a little more accurate. Given the simpler design, the bolt action should be more reliable as well.

My suggestion for a good do-it-all .22? Easy. Ruger 10/22. 18.5" barrel, semi-auto and proven reliable.

Excellent question, vega. I'd like to hear others views / recommendations.

Cliff

I am just curious - where do you live that allows only the purchase of .22 rifles? Am I correct in assuming you are outside of the US?

I live in the Philippines. The law limits us civilians to two guns only. One short (9mm and below) and one long (.22 or shotgun). You could own more than two if you are a gun club member but very expensive.

vega.

Get the shotgun if you are thinking of defensive purposes.

If you are just thinking of a rifle to plink with, get the .22.

Erik

The Phillipines. Huh. Well two lessons learned here for those in the U.S.

1. The first is that if we are not vigilant we too will be under this 2 guns only crap. What is even a ****ier deal is that the mandate what calibers, 9mm and below for handgun and .22 or shotgun. That SUCKS. For rifles (centerfire high power) are the tools of freedom.

2. Obviously they learned nothing from their own history in Phillipines. During wwII Phillipine guerillas were a very effective fighting force. They kept many Japanese troops busy while we Island Hopped across the pacific. Those guerillas would have been much better off if they would have had more guns and training in such. Maybe if there were more avaialbe weapons to the citizenry as a whole, the Japanese would have never occupied thePhillipines in the first place.

History Note:

When Marcos banned all private gun ownership in the Philippines, Teddy Kennedy sent him a congratulatory telegram, saying that he hoped to do the same here. Marcos was a dictator, which says a lot about Teddy's ambitions.

Jim

is 22wmr the largest current rimfire?

why not have a 30-06 rimfire?
is there an ignition problem or is it a dropped round safety issue or is it an economic issue?

dZ

Shin-Tao : I prefer the .22 as I intend to let my kids (11 & 12) use it from time to time. And yes we are allowed full range of bore sizes.

vega

Are you permitted combo long guns ( like the Savage model 24 double barrel with a 22 barrel over a 20 ga. barrel? Or long guns with interchangeable barrels like the Thompson/Contender Contenders or Encores where you could have interchangeable 22 and shotgun barrels?

[This message has been edited by Rusty S (edited April 07, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dZ:

why not have a 30-06 rimfire?

dZ
[/quote]

The main reason for this is 2 fold. First if the case were weak enough for a firing pin to set off the primer in the rim it would be too weak to stand up to the working pressure of the 30-06 (50.000 CCUP)and viceversa, if the case were strong enough to handle the pressures it would be almost impossible to have a firing pin strike hard enough to dent it and set off the primer. Rimfires are by engineering limited to low pressure rounds. Beside that who would want one that you could not reload? :D

------------------
Carlyle

Back