Difference between skeet, trap and turkey shoot ;-)

braindead0

Well, I'm not sure that 'Turkey Shoot' is a common term, all I remember is my dad taking part in one with a double barrel blackpowder 12guage... smoke galore...

Always wondered..

Skeet is shot from 8 positions, 7 around the edge of a semi circle and one in the center between the 1st and 7th. Two houses throw the targets, a high house on the shooters left and a low house on the right. Doubles are part of the game. Targets move left to right, right to left, toward and away from you depending on your shooting position. Skeet can be shot with all gauges. Skeet
Trap is shot from 5 positions in an arc behind a single target house. It is usually a 12 gauge only sport. Doubles can be thrown. All the targets move away from the shooter within a small arc from the center line of the field.
Turkey shoots are a paper target contest that rewards tight patterns and blind luck. Shooters take a single shot at an "X" target. The shooter that puts a "shot" closest to the X wins that shoot. 12 gauges are the upper limit and most common but shoots have been won by a kid with a 410. A side shoot can be a "pie shoot." The target is divided into equal areas, you pay a small amount to put your name in an area. The target is then put on a spinning backstop and 2 or 3 shooters pop it. The winner is whoever has the most hits in their area. At least those are the most common games I've seen in Ohio.
When I was much younger I can remember a turkey shoot being done with rifles. A live bird was staked out in a field behind a log or rock pile. Shooters would pay the farmer a buck or 2 and try to put the bird down with their shot. The farmer almost always came out better this way than by selling a bird at market.

"When I was much younger I can remember a turkey shoot being done with rifles. A live bird was staked out in a field behind a log or rock pile. Shooters would pay the farmer a buck or 2 and try to put the bird down with their shot. The farmer almost always came out better this way than by selling a bird at market."

Don't let PETA hear about this!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the skeet shoots that were described in "Unintended Consequences" in which they would use live birds. This was in the Southwest US and Mexico decades ago.

(Turkey) shoots have been won by a kid with a 410

I can attest to that! I won a turkey shoot at the age of 8 with a 410. Ended up with a $100 gift certificate to the local butcher, back when $100 worth of meat would fill a full-sized freezer.

Talk about some pi$$ed off guys! :D

HL.

The turkey shoot my dad did (back in the mid 70's probably) happened at the end of a 4wd run in Cali (Sarea al jamal I think), but they had guys with small mechanical launchers tossing clays out. About 6-8 shooters lines up shooting clays at the same time.

There may have been more, but the 'oh so better than you' hot shot shooters didn't like the black powder smoke so I think that's all he shot.

Oh well, I think he only missed one outta the 10 or so clays he shot.. perhaps they didn't want to get beaten by a guy shooting a 100year old shotgun :D

Back