Difference Between K-Med & L-Med Frames

fadingbreed

Got a dumb question. What is the difference between K-Medium S&W Frame and the L-Medium S&W Frame? I am looking at a 686 later this year and found out this particular model is the L-Med frame. I have two K frames that I have oversize wood grips on and wondering if they can be interchanged with the L frames. I don't like rubber grips but do like the oversized wood ones and would like to put a spare set on the 686. TIA

The L-Frame is a bit bigger, beefier if you will. To my knowledge the grips are not interchangeable. Holsters may not be and speedloaders definitely are not interchangeable either. There were criticisms years ago that the K-frame .357's were too light weight and self-destructed after X number of full-house .357 rounds. I think S&W came up with the L-Frame in response. Size-wise the L is very similar to a Colt Python.

Kalvan is partially right.

The L-frame has thicker dimensions (more "beef") through the pressure bearing areas of the gun.

The grips, however, ARE interchangable.

The K-frames do NOT "self destruct," though.

As with any gun that shoots high-powered ammunition, the gun will wear. It's the RATE of this wear (end shake and cylinder wobble are the greatest indications of wear) that has a direct relationship to the inherent structural integrity of the whole.

Being of lighter construction, the K-frames will show this wear before the more heavily constructed L frames.

A good analogy is riding a mountain bike vs. a lightweight racing cycle over bumpy trails.

The mountain bike will hold up for a much longer time, because it's designed to deal with the harsher, more demanding, trail surface.

This is true of the K- vs. L-frames. The K-frame was originally designed to handle the .38 Spl. cartridge, and was only late in life wedded to the .357 Mag.

The L-frame was custom built with the .357 Mag. in mind.

the L-frame's grip shape was specially designed to take the same grips as the K-frame. besides being beefed up to handle .357mag loads, the L-frame was also avilable with a taller front sight to allow holding on the neck, as a aiming point, from 50yds in PPC shooting.

the 586/686 6-shot revolvers use the same speedloaders as the python and gp-100...much like K-frame speedloaders fit the detective specials.

L and K frames do use the same grips. Beware, however that the large (target) grips you have on your K frames sound like square butt grips. Newer Smiths' use a round grip frame and those wonderful target grips, which I also love will not work. You can get conversion grips from companies such as Hogue, Eagle, Altamont and others, but they really are not the same as the Smith target stocks that used to come on the square butt guns. Just my thoughts......Ron

Thanks guys for all the information. More than ever, I now gotta have that 686. Ron, you were reading my mind concerning the grips. Again, thanks all.

Back