Difference between 38spl and .357mag

Bruce Banner

Just curious about the accuracy of the 38spl out of a .357 magnum revolver. Is there a difference in the bullet diameter that might cause a 38spl to not be as accurate out of a 357 mag gun?

Bruce,

Not to duck a reply, but that depends on the gun. I had a M-19 that would qualify for a target gun with .38 Wadcutter loads, but my M-686 only gives mediocre accuracy with ammo put up in .38 cases.

The bore diameters are the same in both calibers. The culprit in most accuracy loss it the additional bullet jump necessary for the bullet to travel an additional one tenth of an inch before entering the bore. It give more opportunity for the bullet to enter the bore canted one way or the other.

Doc Hudson

Anecdotal evidence:

Yesterday I had a .38 Spl Model 14 and a .357 Model 28 at the range. I fired .38 Spl 148 gr. HBWC through both guns. The Model 28 shot a much tighter group even with the 1/10th inch jump. It could also be the 6" barrel vs the 4" barrel, the heavier weight of the N-frame or the trigger.

The bullet diameters of the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum are the same (.357"). So is the rifling twist. The only difference (other than in performance) is that the .357 case is 1/10" longer than the .38 case. Other than the preferences of an individual gun or the capabilities of the shooter, the only thing that could (but usually does not) make a difference in accuracy is the jump of the .38 Special bullet from the case to the shoulder in the chamber. The gap allows the bullet to expand slightly and then be squeezed back down at the shoulder; some bullets do this more than others, and accuracy is affected.

Jim

FPS is also an issue.
.357 magnum cases hold much more powder than .38 sp.

I personally shoot both .357magnums and .38sp. out of my .357magnum revolvers and my groupings don't change much.
Not enough to matter. Some guns could be different though.

Happy Shooting All.................

Back