Diff. between pre and post ban AR-15s

Spirex288

Went to a gun show and saw many variations of the AR-15 today. Some notably were "pre" and "post" ban. Can someone clarify this for me? The rifles are starting to look appealing. Might try to grab me one sooner or later. Thanks.

A post ban weapon cannot have 2 of the listed "evil features" in the crime bill of 1994. Otherwise it is an evil assault weapon :)

Since the AR15 has a pistol grip that protrudes from below the action, it can't have a collapsible stock, flashhider, or bayonet lug. So post ban AR15s for the most part have bare muzzles and no bayonet lug on the front sight housing, or a clooapsible stock. You will find post ban ARs that have muzzle brakes, such as the Smith Compensator, or the AK74 type break.

To qualify as a preban assault weapon the rifle must have had two or more evil features prior to 13 September 1994. A preban lower receiver with no documentation that it was ever built into an assault weapon configuration prior to the enactment of the ban would not be legal to assemble into a preban configuration.

There is a faq at Olyarms webpage and one at AR15.com

HTH
Jeff

Collapsable stock, threaded barrel end, bayonet lug.

William Jefferson Blyth Clinton

$600

- that's the difference between a pre- and post-ban AR in my neck of the woods.

Back