Diet for BHP

Greetings. If the Browning magazines you use
are the newer ones meant for MkIIs and MkIIIs, I'm surprised by the problems you mention with the silvertips. My older HP magazines can be picky. I've found that most HPs like Federal 9BP 115 gr JHPs, Remington 115 gr JHP +Ps, and CCI/Speer 100 gr JHPs among other rounds. Most of the HPs really group the Remington load just mentioned and it clocks around 1240 ft/sec out of std bbl'd HPs. Triton 115 gr HPs also have grouped well as has the old, discontinued CorBon 124 gr load which used the XTP by Hornady. I've had excellent luck with the following handload: 124 gr Hornady XTP/FC cases/6 gr Unique/WW or FC small pistol primer loaded to 1.11" overall. This will hit around 1240 ft/sec out of a HP and is very, very accurate. Best.

Hello. Should you buy any 10 round magazines, go with the Browning (MecGar) magazines. You can still find pre-ban Browning HP magazines and should they have witness holes in the rear of the magazine, they are late model mags as with the MkIIIs. These tend to feed.
Keep your eyes open for surplus Ingles magazines that have metal followers. They work, too, in my experience. Sometimes polishing the weapon's feed ramp, especially at the low end helps as does removing the "hump" in older HP feed ramps. Unless you are sure of what you are doing, this job is best reserved for a gunsmith. Best.

Fireforged, my experience has been similar to Stephen Camp's. My MkIII likes 9BP the best followed by Winchester 124gr 9mm NATO. It will shoot about anything but those are the best factory loads. My MkII clone (Argentina) will also shoot about anything but with lesser results.

Back