Did ruger copy Hamilton Bowen ?

1stmar

Been looking at Rugers new RedHawk 45colt/45acp and I have read mixed reviews. So I wanted to see what it may cost for a trigger job and possibly some tuning. I went to Hamilton Bowens site and stumbled on to his alpine conversion. This looks exactly (minus the sights) like Rugers new RedHawk. Coincidence ?

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_double_action_basic_packages.html

Here is the ruger

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Just two different methods for obtaining a similar result.

One is 'mass-production-quality'.
The other is tuned and adjusted to function like a hand-made handgun.

I really don't even see it as competition.
It's a bit like wondering if the Corvair was GM's response to the Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. They just aren't in the same class.

AFAIK, H-B simply buys Rugers, tunes them up and sells them; nothing magic. You pay for H-B's work in improving the Ruger, the same way you would pay any gunsmith who did similar work.

Jim

Let me rephrase, I understand hb isn't a gun manufacturer. I'm wondering if ruger got the inspiration for their new model from hb. Round butt, slim grips, 4" and although the alpine doesn't have cylinder modification for Acp it's certainly something hb does. Wouldnt take much to make a talo version with different sights. First round butt RedHawk I have seen.

I think this was just a highly requested product that Ruger took forever to make. I know of a few gentleman that had their Redhawks "converted" to just such a config many years ago by gunsmiths or did the work themselves. Just a good all around package/setup.

I'm wondering if ruger got the inspiration for their new model from hb.
There are several Ruger offerings of late that folks have been clamering for and paying big bucks to have conversions done.
Before the Lipsey 44 special a ton of 3 screw 357s have been done and the most recient 5 shot 454/480 Blackhawk.

This wasn't meant to be critical of ruger. I think it's promising that they recognize smaller trends/niche markets and responds to them. It's easy to build an AR or follow trends that will be overwhelming well recieved. Be it lcp, lcr or ruger American. Those are better mouse traps. For ruger to recognize or listen to (what I perceive to be) a smaller market and produce a product that meets those asks, I see that as very positive and not something you see from many others manufacturers. Maybe the market is bigger than I think.

Years ago I wanted a four-inch Redhawk.
Ruger didn't want a four-inch Redhawk.

I had Bowen build me a four-inch Red & then a four-inch Super Red that looks just like a Red (snout milled back & a cut-back Red barrel installed).
Wrote both up, a couple years apart.

Think it was within a year of the second that Ruger finally produced a four-inch Red as a catalogued model.

Imitation? :)
I dunno.
Could be Ruger just finally got enough requests for a four-incher to make the leap.

Might be the same with the round grip now.
Denis

No way of knowing but Bowen wasn't the only one doing round butt, four inch conversions on the Redhawk.

AFAIK, H-B simply buys Rugers, tunes them up and sells them; nothing magic.
Bowen mostly does work on existing customer guns and it's usually a lot more than just tuning and many would argue that there is indeed magic involved. ;)

"Bowen mostly does work on existing customer guns and it's usually a lot more than just tuning and many would argue that there is indeed magic involved. "

And for my next trick, watch your money disappear.

Back