Did our first match today!

chris in va

My friend and I finally decided to attend a 'fun match' which is (I assume) an IDPA style format with barriers and steel plates. No fancy equipment allowed, just carry guns, hip holsters and mag holders.

One thing though, she was having problems with my Sig 220 with all the controls...slide release, mag release, decocker etc. I offered that she use my Kahr K9 next time, but she has trouble racking the slide.

I guess we'll both be using my CZ 75BD, swapping it out between shoots. We both had a GREAT time and I just want some suggestions to make things go smoother for her next time. Using a Glock would be perfect, but alas...I don't have one. And she insists the 45 is her favorite caliber.:eek:

"...We both had a GREAT time..." Hi. That'd be the important part.
Not that it's any of my business, but you may want to think about her as more than just a friend. Female shooting buddies are kind of unusual, but it isn't a bad thing. Just don't get PO'd when,not if, it comes to pass that she can shoot better than you. Women tend to do that. Women are just inherently better shots than men. Has nothing to do with you. The theory is that they don't have John Wayne to live up to. As daft as that sounds. They listen and pay attention to instructions far better than guys do.
"...she was having problems...she has trouble..." The pistol was likely too big for her hand or she didn't have enough time(training) to become familiar with it. Teach her and/or change the grips to fit her hand.
"...I don't have one..." I'd bet she, not you, could borrow one without much fuss.
"...she insists the 45 is..." Yep. .45's do tend to be smoother with less muzzle blast than 9mm's. She like fat, middle aged, guys, who own a Colt Series 70, reload and can cook? Snicker. Ok, I have recipes that I'll send you for the asking.

No worries, I have no ego to speak of when it comes to someone's shooting abilities. I fully hope she would be better than I am, as I'm nothing to write home about.:cool:

We sat down last night and she decided using my CZ or Kahr would be better for the next match as the Sig is just too difficult to operate. The slide release is flush with the grip panel and she can't get her finger under it to lock it open.

Just a suggestion, Chris, . . . maybe not at all possible, . . . but I would buy my wife a RIA 1911 in a New York minute, . . . if that is all it took to get her to shooting with me. They can be had for the $400 price range.

Teach her to rack the slide with her whole hand, combat style, instead of thumb and forefinger, . . . I'll betcha she'll love that.

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: Where do you do IDPA in Louisville?

Have you got a schedule or a contact number for them?

I have a SIL in E town, . . . could treat my other half to a mini vacation while I have to bite the bullet and entertain myself with some old boring IDPA shooting :D

May God bless,
Dwight

Back